Hawks :(

We live in a suburban area just around the corner from downtown. This past Saturday morning I was on my way to a festival with a friend when my fiance called (in tears) over a hawk having killed his favorite chicken, a beautiful and scrappy little Mille Fleur. I grew up with chickens, but this year is our first flock, and his first time ever having chickens. He also told me that my favorite chicken was missing. He had collected the rest of our flock and put them into the coop, and was searching the neighborhood for my beloved buff Easter Egger.

I was so upset. I was surprised about a hawk, as we have raccoons and skunks, but our area is so densely populated I wouldn't think a hawk would be interested. Could it be part of the fall migration?

Sunday morning, I couldn't help but walk around the neighborhood looking for my Easter Egger. I didn't find her. I went back inside the house, and I must admit I cried a little. I accept that having livestock comes with losses, but I never feel ashamed of grieving for them.

Then something miraculous happened. My fiance headed out into the yard and started yelling something about me having left the chickens out. I started to get defensive when his tone changed and he was excited. I ran out, and sure enough, there was that beautiful chicken, shining like gold in the sunlight, right outside the coop! There was a lot of chicken hugging. Our neighbors must think we're nuts.

Anyway, now all our poor hens are cooped up. We're building a small run that will have netting. Unfortunately we don't have the option of getting a rooster or a big dog. I loved watching them run all over our tiny yard. My fiance wants more chickens. He loved that Mille Fleur.

I am curious about geese. I might be able to fit a goose or two in the yard. Are they good guards?

We live in a suburban area just around the corner from downtown. This past Saturday morning I was on my way to a festival with a friend when my fiance called (in tears) over a hawk having killed his favorite chicken, a beautiful and scrappy little Mille Fleur. I grew up with chickens, but this year is our first flock, and his first time ever having chickens. He also told me that my favorite chicken was missing. He had collected the rest of our flock and put them into the coop, and was searching the neighborhood for my beloved buff Easter Egger.

I was so upset. I was surprised about a hawk, as we have raccoons and skunks, but our area is so densely populated I wouldn't think a hawk would be interested. Could it be part of the fall migration?

Sunday morning, I couldn't help but walk around the neighborhood looking for my Easter Egger. I didn't find her. I went back inside the house, and I must admit I cried a little. I accept that having livestock comes with losses, but I never feel ashamed of grieving for them.

Then something miraculous happened. My fiance headed out into the yard and started yelling something about me having left the chickens out. I started to get defensive when his tone changed and he was excited. I ran out, and sure enough, there was that beautiful chicken, shining like gold in the sunlight, right outside the coop! There was a lot of chicken hugging. Our neighbors must think we're nuts.

Anyway, now all our poor hens are cooped up. We're building a small run that will have netting. Unfortunately we don't have the option of getting a rooster or a big dog. I loved watching them run all over our tiny yard. My fiance wants more chickens. He loved that Mille Fleur.

I am curious about geese. I might be able to fit a goose or two in the yard. Are they good guards?

I'm sorry to hear of your loss - I know the feeling as we recently lost an adorable small silkie/lavender orpington mix. Makes me so sad - she had the softest feathers I've ever felt. Until you get a chance to put the netting up you can temporarily string some fishing line or thin string with CDs hanging from them in some sort of pattern across the area to deter any more attacks. Yes it probably was a migratory hawk - we have the same problem every fall/winter. Zero hawks during the spring & summer and suddenly it's hawk season! Thankfully they move on after about a week - but not unfortunately until one got my beautiful Cocoa. She was the smallest of our adult chickens - so maybe that's why he targeted her.

We have netting over the large run and I think that is the only reason the hawk stayed out after he had his first chicken meal. I could see him trying to figure out how to get into the chicken coop. He sat on the gate a couple of times and on the nearby fence as well. He finally gave up and today was the first time I've let them out all day to free range out small suburban backyard. They were all over the yard too! It's funny to see them at the furtherest corners.

I lost all 3 babies in 20 minites from a hawk he didnt eat them just killed them . SAD
Wow, so sad and that is just one MEAN hawk. I mean, I can forgive an animal just trying to survive but to just kill needlessly...
barnie.gif

There are many good (permanent) deterrents for hawks.. Unfortunately the ones I know are not exactly Federal/State friendly when concerning your local Game Laws or USFWS (US Fish & Wildlife Services) and don't bother calling either since they won't be able to help. Either contact your local Wildlife Services Agency or talk to an old chicken farmer. Best Rule of Thumb: 3 S's Rule (Shoot, Shovel, and Shut up)

Geese are all talk, they are more like sentinals that alert you to something unusual. They will not literally protect anything except for their mate or their nest/babies. If you are in the suburbs, I wouldn't get geese. The best guards are LOUD believe me. I do go out whenever I hear the geese sound an alarm and the other birds do react but the geese are not fond of the chickens or ducks, they tolerate them.

Oh, do be careful suggesting such drastic measures! Some folks here get their pantaloons all in a wad at the very mention of harming a raptor. Better to let them eat all your chickens. Can't rock the boat.....

I think it is less rocking the boat than advocating breaking the law when people mention that it is illegal to shoot a raptor. Where exactly does it end? Should all predators be killed so that we can keep our chickens safe when they are out of a covered area? Keep your chickens inside a covered area or you may suffer some losses.

I have had 1 chicken taken by a hawk and it happened after I removed a shade cover outside of the coop. Needless to say, the shade cloth went right back up. I would never shoot a raptor, again it is illegal. The coyote that has taken a few of my young birds is another story.

I have found the best protection against hawks to be lots of shelter/covers and I encourage the crows in the area to stay. Whenever I have seen a hawk in the tree that is nearest my coops, it flies away when I walk outside. As soon as it lifts off, all of the crows in the surrounding trees pursue it.

I wouldn't advocate "breaking" laws.. Just letting folks know if you do decide to do something possibly illegal concerning predators the 3 S rule should be used and not to go bout bragging or mentioning it. Living out in the country and all especially with family instances can occur everywhere that may foster "outlaws". Personally, my I've got 15 chickens and 3 guineas. Ain't lost one yet ;)

I was standing inside our net covered run talking with my son when suddenly the flock scattered. A huge hawk had swooped down to grab himself a chicken dinner not more than 10 feet from where I stood in his full view. But thankfully the aviary net held and no one was captured! YEA - in your FACE hawk!

I agree that free ranging them later in the morning and well before sundown at this time of year is the best choice to reduce losses if you don't have a good dog or rooster. I have a silkie roo, but that hawk swooped so fast he didn't even have time to yelp.

When I was little we had "Guard Duck" named Quackers. We lived in a trailor park and were not allowed to have a dog so my dad trained a duck. He would not leave the yard but wouldn't let others in either. Quackers was also potty trained. He would go to one tree to do his business and would sleep in an area that my dad made for him under the trailer. People may say that this isn't possible but I lived it. Get the right duck and your yard will be secured.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I had to sell my beautiful silkie roo 4 weeks ago because he was attacking me and my grandchilden.E verything seem to be going great when yesterday a hawk got one of my silkies. I'll bet that roo is laughing at me now for my loss. I will have to keep the girls in the chicken house untill the hawks get tired of waiting. This was around 4oclock in the afternoon, and this morning when I went into the fenced garden he was right in front of the chicken house ,saw me and flew away.Has anyone ever heard of a hawk attacking a jack russell? Hasn't happened but was wondering if they go after something 20 lbs?

Back
Top Bottom