Hay or Straw for Rabbit?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Willow's Meadow, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Should I use hay or straw as bedding in my hutch? What kind of bedding do you use in your hutch?

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I raise my rabbits on wire. But I'd use either pine shavings or compressed pine pellets - both are more absorbant than hay or straw.

I usually give hay for them to eat. I use hay or straw to line the nest box when I have an expectant doe, but I don't use it as bedding.

3. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    Hay to eat, straw for litter.

I prefer pine shaving base, with straw over top. Keeps the bunnies cleaner, as their not sitting ON their waste. Instead it shifts down and absorbs into the shavings. Clean as you normally would [​IMG]

4. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    Hay will work but they will eat most if not all of it! Straw is better but wood shavings are GREAT! Non cedar for me!

God Bless!

5. blackbelt

blackbelt Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2010
    bloomington springs tn
    Here at back to basics homestead we raise meat rabbits, they are on wire so they stay clean. Just before birthing the doe has straw in her box. They are feed hay on a daily basis.

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Hay and straw will hold in moisture making a wet gooey mess if peed on. If not cleaned out it will mold within a few days and then if the rabbit eats it they can get very ill or die. We lost a guinea pig that way. Shavings (no cedar) or pellets (pine or paper) is the best choice for a solid floor and then if you really want you can put some straw over that but really it will only counteract the absorbency of the other bedding. If I do straw in an animal pen I lay down pine pellets, then pine shavings, and then the straw so that there is a very absorbent thick layer underneath the straw in order to collect all the moisture.

Hay should be available all the time in a hay rack or cleaned out frequently so it's always clean and fresh with no urine and possible mold growing on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by