He asked me "What is Chicken Math?!!!"

SandyRiverChick

Free Ranging
14 Years
Jun 7, 2009
Brightwood, OR
My Coop
My Coop
This morning my boyfriend asked "Hey, I heard you talking about chicken math to the kids, I mean what exactly IS chicken math?" I answered, Oh bless your little heart, could you be any cuter?

You know how incredibly sad you were when we lost 2 hens over the winter (old age,) and you know how you said “I guess that means you get to add 2 more chicks this Spring.” Well, In response to your excellent point, I did an awesome job fulfilling your request. I went to our feed stores website and found 7 breeds that I’d really like to add to the flock, but you said 2 so as difficult as it was I called the feedstore and reserved the 3 breeds that would be impossible to live without as they lay egg colors that we don’t yet have! And waited patiently.

And as excited as I was on pick up day, while I was driving there I realized that just like this past winter, we could actually lose another one! Or worse, we could lose one of these forthcoming babies 😢. So I called the feed store and thank god, they were able to add another, they really are the best! Then I went in, picked up my four out of the reserved bin and to my horror, because there were 5 in this bin, I had left one little chick all alone :eek:. That poor little chick who had 4 flock mates to keep her warm, was now sad and all alone. You know she had to come home too! I tossed her in my box and started for the register to check out when it suddenly dawned on me, wait, what if this one is really a cockerel :confused:? Intent on having 5 Pullet’s I absolutely had to go back and grab another. And when I made my choice there was yet another one who I know I heard saying “pick me, pick me!” But a sweet young family with little kids had just entered the room and I selflessly decided to leave some chicks behind for them. I checked out and came home. I knew you’d be really happy that I only got 6 instead of7! ........... And THAT my dear is Chicken Math. If the kids can understand it, I’m sure you can too!!

This morning my boyfriend asked "Hey, I heard you talking about chicken math to the kids, I mean what exactly IS chicken math?" I answered, Oh bless your little heart, could you be any cuter?

You know how incredibly sad you were when we lost 2 hens over the winter (old age,) and you know how you said “I guess that means you get to add 2 more chicks this Spring.” Well, In response to your excellent point, I did an awesome job fulfilling your request. I went to our feed stores website and found 7 breeds that I’d really like to add to the flock, but you said 2 so as difficult as it was I called the feedstore and reserved the 3 breeds that would be impossible to live without as they lay egg colors that we don’t yet have! And waited patiently.

And as excited as I was on pick up day, while I was driving there I realized that just like this past winter, we could actually lose another one! Or worse, we could lose one of these forthcoming babies 😢. So I called the feed store and thank god, they were able to add another, they really are the best! Then I went in, picked up my four out of the reserved bin and to my horror, because there were 5 in this bin, I had left one little chick all alone :eek:. That poor little chick who had 4 flock mates to keep her warm, was now sad and all alone. You know she had to come home too! I tossed her in my box and started for the register to check out when it suddenly dawned on me, wait, what if this one is really a cockerel :confused:? Intent on having 5 Pullet’s I absolutely had to go back and grab another. And when I made my choice there was yet another one who I know I heard saying “pick me, pick me!” But a sweet young family with little kids had just entered the room and I selflessly decided to leave some chicks behind for them. I checked out and came home. I knew you’d be really happy that I only got 6 instead of7! ........... And THAT my dear is Chicken Math. If the kids can understand it, I’m sure you can too!!
This post makes me feel so normal when I look out and the 2 chicks I was going to get turned into 11!!!

This post makes me feel so normal when I look out and the 2 chicks I was going to get turned into 11!!!
I planned on getting 2 chickens. Then i figured 4 would be better, but sense i was doing it out of an egg and they might not all hatch, i got 9. Multiplied within minutes. Now im breeding chickens. Whoops.

Back
Top Bottom