he Flock is now complete...for now

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mrwoodboat, Dec 24, 2012.

1. mrwoodboat

mrwoodboat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Hi from Columbia, SC- I posted on here a little over the past month as I have just recently started keeping chickens agaIN. we started off with 9 Buff Orpingtons that were 6 wks old. Turned out we had 5 roos and 4 hens so a local guy said he would swap some full grown chickens for our extra roos- come pick what we wanted. We went home with a New Hampshire and Jersey Giant hen plus a mixed up crazy beautiful rooster that looks like it has Araucana, Barred Rock and some sort of Game in him- he is HUGE but so calm. He is very protective of his girls but not aggressive toward us at all, will come running when we approach the coop.

Today, we got a call that the guy had 8 more chickens for us if we wanted them- 8 hens and a roo. So, we brought home a pair of Araucanas, 3 RR, 2 red sex link hens, a Barred Rock hen and an Araucana hen. All but the Araucana have just started laying, so I think we are done.

I did have to move my big boy to a run seperated from the one I put all the new chickens in as he was trying to get to the new birds through the wire. Thinking I will probably keep him seperate since he is so crossed up and is such a nice bird. The Araucana is more the size of the other birds anyway.

Having fun and hoping that with 17 birds now, I am done LOL

2. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    So glad you joined us! Good luck with your birds! 17 will probably never be enough. Unless of course you have superior self-control. [​IMG]

I suggest you post pics of your beautiful roo in the Pictures and Stories of My Chickens forum. We'd love to see him!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, mrwoodbat, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! Best of luck to you and your ever-growing flock! Merry Christmas!

4. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

Sorry mrwoodboat but something tells me 'chicken math' is in your future! [​IMG]

Welcome to the wonderful world of addictive chickens! [​IMG]

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

6. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] You're done 'for now'. Beware of chicken math - we never have enough birds.

8. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio...so glad you joined us. I was done at 9 too but now have 30 [​IMG]Best of luck keeping your numbers in check :)

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello [​IMG] Welcome to BYC and Merry Christmas!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by