1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

he Flock is now complete...for now

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mrwoodboat, Dec 24, 2012.

1. mrwoodboat

mrwoodboat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Hi from Columbia, SC- I posted on here a little over the past month as I have just recently started keeping chickens agaIN. we started off with 9 Buff Orpingtons that were 6 wks old. Turned out we had 5 roos and 4 hens so a local guy said he would swap some full grown chickens for our extra roos- come pick what we wanted. We went home with a New Hampshire and Jersey Giant hen plus a mixed up crazy beautiful rooster that looks like it has Araucana, Barred Rock and some sort of Game in him- he is HUGE but so calm. He is very protective of his girls but not aggressive toward us at all, will come running when we approach the coop.

Today, we got a call that the guy had 8 more chickens for us if we wanted them- 8 hens and a roo. So, we brought home a pair of Araucanas, 3 RR, 2 red sex link hens, a Barred Rock hen and an Araucana hen. All but the Araucana have just started laying, so I think we are done.

I did have to move my big boy to a run seperated from the one I put all the new chickens in as he was trying to get to the new birds through the wire. Thinking I will probably keep him seperate since he is so crossed up and is such a nice bird. The Araucana is more the size of the other birds anyway.

Having fun and hoping that with 17 birds now, I am done LOL

2. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    So glad you joined us! Good luck with your birds! 17 will probably never be enough. Unless of course you have superior self-control. [​IMG]

I suggest you post pics of your beautiful roo in the Pictures and Stories of My Chickens forum. We'd love to see him!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, mrwoodbat, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! Best of luck to you and your ever-growing flock! Merry Christmas!

4. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

Sorry mrwoodboat but something tells me 'chicken math' is in your future! [​IMG]

Welcome to the wonderful world of addictive chickens! [​IMG]

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

6. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] You're done 'for now'. Beware of chicken math - we never have enough birds.

8. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio...so glad you joined us. I was done at 9 too but now have 30 [​IMG]Best of luck keeping your numbers in check :)

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello [​IMG] Welcome to BYC and Merry Christmas!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by