He just showed up!

pacenme

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 6, 2012
So I am the first one to admit that I thought my husband had been drinking when he had described seeing a peacock in our yard a week ago. Come to find out that he had not been drinking and that it is indeed a male peacock that has lost his trail. He seems to stick around during the day and leaves @ night. He doesn't get too close to us and flees if we scare him. I have no idea who he belongs to? I would like to set out some food for him but not sure what to leave? Will he be ok this winter? We live in NY and it gets pretty cold? Any advice would be great. We love having him around and he doesn't seem to bother our chickens
smile.png

I'm in the same situation except ours has been with us almost two years. I knew nothing about peafowl before he arrived (still know very little) but what I was told is that they have to remain on a property about six months in order to "imprint". Once imprinted they will essentially stay forever. The most likely scenario in our case is that someone purchased him, penned him for a couple of weeks, then let him out to free-range and away he flew, deciding instead to live with us. Now, after two years, he is unlikely to ever leave so we are in the process of trying to find him a mate.

Are you sure he is leaving at night? Ours roosts in the trees and its amazing how they can disappear into the trees and you'd never even see them. Many times I've gone looking for him only to find he is only feet away from me on a branch of a tree.

As for feeding, most of the year he seems to do fine on the bugs he catches around our place. We do set out some gamebird feed in the winter which is apparently appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom