HE or SHE? A Barred Rock, an Easter Egger, and a Silkie

ClayChicken

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 28, 2009
East Tennessee
Our chicks are four weeks old and I believe I have some roos. This IS my first time with chicks, though, so I am hoping for some expert opinions.

My Easter Egger "pullet"... I don't think so, though

My Barred Rock... a little pink on the comb?

My silkie with a... what is that thing?... at 4 weeks

I think these three are roos, but what do you think?

Chickie Mamma

Farmer at Heart
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Sherman, CT
Hello, I am not very good at this, but I think you do have all roos. The comb on the EE and barred rock are getting pinkish. I don't see wattles though??
The silkie looks like a roo too. I am sure someone else will have a better idea.

the lemon tree

Songster
10 Years
May 12, 2009
I dunno, I kind of think the BR is a pullet. At 4 weeks, if he was a boy, I'd think there'd be more white barring, indicative of a male. I have a 4.5 week old BR with the same kind of coloring and size/color comb and I'm 99% sure she's a girl.

ETA: The barred chick behind the questionable BR in the 4th picture is most definitely a male. FYI

Last edited by a moderator:

ZZsBabiez

Songster
11 Years
Sep 19, 2008
Central California
Actually, you are kind of lucky with that silkie showing a comb already! I just found out my silkie is a roo today and he was hatched in November!

Southernbelle

Gone Broody
12 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Virginia
My 1st round with EEs - all my sexed pullets had red in their combs at 7 weeks and they were all girls anyway

Usually BR cockrels have lighter feathers and his look quite dark, more like a pullet, but that is a start of a comb, so maybe

Silkies can't be accurately sexed until 4-6 MONTHS, so it will be a long time before you know for sure on that one. They should have a dark purpley mahogany colored comb. And they have walnut combs, which look like a walnut!

ClayChicken

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 28, 2009
East Tennessee
Really? That barred rock behind the others is the smallest one and shyest, too. I was sure she was a petite little girl!

I need to sell some chicks and didn't want to sell off any as pullets that might be roos. I ordered pullets (BRs, EEs, and BOs) but know that there are no guarantees with that sort of thing.

As for the silkies, I was hoping for a mix and maybe a nice one or two to breed.

the lemon tree

Songster
10 Years
May 12, 2009
Quote:I may be wrong as I am definitely not the sexing expert-I've just done A LOT of research when it came to sexing my own BRs. There's a good amount of white on that chick, that's all. I hope I'm wrong and that it is indeed a pullet!

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
See this pair? They are six weeks old, brother and sister. The chick in question above has pullet coloring, though the comb is getting a little pink. It also has very dark leg fronts. It's possible to get a dark cockerel because someone hatched one from my own flock, very dark, still is at maturity. That is rather rare, though.

Top Bottom