He thought he was Foxy!

Abirdbrain

Chirping
8 Years
May 13, 2011
NW Indiana, Near the Big Lake

Last week we lost 3 more chickens from a pen, shortly after we sold the rooster, that did not match the hens there. And another in a diverse pen form raiders in the night. Ptrols with flashlights have picked up their eyes, but have not yeilded good hunting tartgets.

Well, we do battle with all of natures children. it saddens me to be a Draconin lawgiver, but now we have eliminated 3 racoons, one Pussom, and this little red haired raider. ( he stinks worse than a skunk!) He was transported to a grass prarie preserve, and released near a pond. The others were .22 victims as they would not be trapped.We have added another watch dog, Jacob, or big Jake, who is now taking lessons from the older and wiser Old Guy, Titan. He is a Sheltie of course, and is showing some herding instincts around the birds.

Great thread!!! I am hoping to catch BOTH those with in the next couple nights!!! I have seen a red fox eyeballing my coop two weeks ago and racoon scuttle across the driveway two nights ago-- and one of those pesky creatures ate all 7 of my silkies!! and the eggs!!
somad.gif

This is an old thread, but to update it, we are still here, doing what we do.

Several more racoons were removed from the environment through this year, and an egg raiding possum, was shot down climbing a 5 foot 2x4 wire fence. I am building a live trap from a massive dog cage, that got stepped on by a cow at the poutry auction. (long story)

We have had deer laying out in our back field, and some coyotes ranging and singging about. We lsot our beloved Titan last february to age, he was about 11, since he was a pound puppy rescue, we dont know for sure. Jacob, is a character, and has learned a bit of hearding, even tho a rooster is twice his size he has a big heart and stands his ground well even with the wing buffets.

Doing chicken math, we are hatching house birds this winter, as these breeds are slow to mature, and we are changing our aging flock stock. about 150 birds. For whatever reason, we have lsot most of our house hatched Sultnas to an unknown cause..
We are heavy into silkies and frizzles, some Blue Cochins, and Wheaton Americanas, to name a few. We added a chicken house that is 8 x 16 with a shed roof, that came from a neighbor but 2 miles away, moved by a flatbed wrecker for $60 The coop was $150 for over $1000 in materials and already built.. A deal we could not pass up..It came with some chick rearing cages, that we removed, and will sell this spring, to nearly cover the cost of the building.

Thanks for reading..

Back
Top Bottom