Head and comb injury

Harmoni

Songster
Jan 20, 2021
Central Florida
Not sure what initially happened but the other birds must have pecked her. That was almost a week ago and about 3 days ago her comb and around her eyes started swelling. I'm noticing that she's scratching the area. What can I do to help? I've cleaned it with wound spray and put antibiotic ointment and blu kote on it. Any advice is welcome.
IMG_20230212_173030154.jpg
IMG_20230212_173040313.jpg
IMG_20230212_173056157.jpg
IMG_20230212_173102250.jpg
IMG_20230212_173124856.jpg

One of my hens stuck her fool head through the chicken wire in our run to get a tasty bug. After catching said bug, she pulled her head back through the chicken wire and managed to partially scalp herself. The wire is sharp! Looked just like this, her comb swelled but not her face. We kept it clean with vetricin and put an antibiotic ointment on it. The part that’s not attached will stay grey for a LONG time. Ours did this a year ago and that part of the comb still goes grey at times, but pinks up at other times.
She’ll be fine, but if you think it was chicken wire, cover up any area she can stick her head through with smaller wire!

One of my hens stuck her fool head through the chicken wire in our run to get a tasty bug. After catching said bug, she pulled her head back through the chicken wire and managed to partially scalp herself. The wire is sharp! Looked just like this, her comb swelled but not her face. We kept it clean with vetricin and put an antibiotic ointment on it. The part that’s not attached will stay grey for a LONG time. Ours did this a year ago and that part of the comb still goes grey at times, but pinks up at other times.
She’ll be fine, but if you think it was chicken wire, cover up any area she can stick her head through with smaller wire!
I don't think it was wire, but maybe it was, I will check for gaps. She's lowest in the pecking order so I suspect bullying. How long did you isolate for? She really wants back with her flock but I fear they will peck her injury.

I don't think it was wire, but maybe it was, I will check for gaps. She's lowest in the pecking order so I suspect bullying. How long did you isolate for? She really wants back with her flock but I fear they will peck her injury.
I only isolated my girl for a couple of days in the attached run where she could see her sisters, but no one was going after her when it happened. Also there wasn’t as much swelling so I wasn’t worried about an infection.

Back
Top Bottom