:::head desk:::

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Prettiest Frog, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Prettiest Frog

Prettiest Frog Cooped Up

Dec 21, 2009
    Another 6 ducks. Another all female batch. This makes 3 hatches!

Why is getting a male dark rouen duck to hatch so blasted HARD!!!!!!!!

2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    How do you know they are all female?

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    You are complaining why? I would give my eyeteeth to have all female hatches. The reason I don't hatch is because I don't want to have to "dispose" of most of the males.

4. Prettiest Frog

Prettiest Frog Cooped Up

Dec 21, 2009
    I want a couple drakes so I don't have to go buy new critters every time my husband wants duck for dinner. The whole purpose of having our own ducks was to be self sustaining. Keep a breeding group of 2 males and 6 or so females, and breed a couple times a year and send them away to freezer camp when they get big enough. That way my husband can have his duck dinner a couple times a month.

A friend vent-sexed them. I was hoping she was wrong, but noooooooooo, every dang one of them is quacking at me. Quack quack. Quack quack. QUACKQUACKQUACKQUACKQUACK.

I mean, if I have to keep buying the ducks, I might as well forgo the raising them myself part and just buy the grown ones from someone. At least I don't have to count my fingers every time I bring treats out to the chickens and quail.

5. bantiesrule

bantiesrule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Long Prairie, MN
    Duck hens are edible also. [​IMG]
    You could probably trade with someone who wants more hens and less drakes.

6. Prettiest Frog

Prettiest Frog Cooped Up

Dec 21, 2009
    I'm looking for someone who wants to swap a drake with a hen, but I really don't want to end up with someone's problem bird or risk bringing something into my flock. Every single bird in that flock hatched out of my incubator (or under one of the other birds).

Ah well, at least I've got some variety to choose the best of the best for the female half of the breeding stock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by