Head gesture which im not sure what it means

the_finch_family

Songster
Dec 15, 2022
East iceland
Hi!
So okay maybe it's something common, but I honestly don't know since I am still a bit new to duck keeping.

I've noticed a while back that my little mallard, Kimmy, who has some minor brain damage from an injury she got as a chick, does this sideways almost reaching motion or something? She does it a lot towards random things.
Now I noticed one of my other ducks does that too towards her when Kim bites or generally annoys her. Is this something that actually has a meaning, or a tic that my other duck is mocking Kim for?

If its normal, does anyone know what it means?

Here's a video showing what I mean. I should definitely have more videos of Kim doing it too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221221-222432_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221221-222432_Gallery.jpg
    734.4 KB · Views: 67
Hi!
So okay maybe it's something common, but I honestly don't know since I am still a bit new to duck keeping.

I've noticed a while back that my little mallard, Kimmy, who has some minor brain damage from an injury she got as a chick, does this sideways almost reaching motion or something? She does it a lot towards random things.
Now I noticed one of my other ducks does that too towards her when Kim bites or generally annoys her. Is this something that actually has a meaning, or a tic that my other duck is mocking Kim for?

If its normal, does anyone know what it means?

Here's a video showing what I mean. I should definitely have more videos of Kim doing it too.
Totally normal! My ducks do this when they want someone's attention, to get them out of the way, or if they're annoyed. IDK about your ducks, but mine always jibber jabber and argue.

You have lovely ducks, btw!
:love

Totally normal! My ducks do this when they want someone's attention, to get them out of the way, or if they're annoyed. IDK about your ducks, but mine always jibber jabber and argue.

You have lovely ducks, btw!
:love
That's good to hear 😆
My ducks are lovely with eachother, I rarely see them squabbling and they usually cuddle together in the coop. They really don't understand the concept of personal space unless food is involves.
And thank you! 💕

Your ducks are lovely! The one makign the noise and nodding her head up and down sounds and behaves just like my son's very noisy and very bossy pekin female. She behaves like that with the drake when he mates the other pekin female, or even if he just looks at the other pekin female. So quite normal duck behavior

I have had ducks for 1.5 years and this summer I hatched a few Swedish along with getting 2 other Swedish ducklings
My 3 Swedish girls would do this and now all my girls do this lol
(Follow the leader )
My girls do it mostly to their favourite drake or best friend. They are just communicating.
My oldest and first duck hardly ever talks and is always beside her mate
She now does this to him all the time
Then she will walk away to where she wants him to follow her
Pond , eating , laying down ect

I have had ducks for 1.5 years and this summer I hatched a few Swedish along with getting 2 other Swedish ducklings
My 3 Swedish girls would do this and now all my girls do this lol
(Follow the leader )
My girls do it mostly to their favourite drake or best friend. They are just communicating.
My oldest and first duck hardly ever talks and is always beside her mate
She now does this to him all the time
Then she will walk away to where she wants him to follow her
Pond , eating , laying down ect
Oh gosh that makes lots of sense. My girl Kimmy does this a lot towards other ducks and towards people especially, as well as plushies (she comes to hang out on the couch occasionally). Thank you so much for the info! I was really confused about this head gesture for a while.

Back
Top Bottom