Head injury and head twitching

Jess20

Hatching
Jul 9, 2022
I am hoping to get some help regarding the injury of my chicken. We have a single chicken that was given to us when it was a chick. Yesterday, one of my family members found the chicken in its coop was injured and it had blood near its eyes and on its head. I wasn’t present when it happened but my family managed to stop the bleeding and they cleaned the wound. One of its eyes wont open and it seems that the chicken can’t hold up its own head. I have had chickens before when I was younger but I never ran into these types of problems. I was wondering if anyone knew how we can help our chicken it would be greatly appreciate.

Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of her?

If she suffered head trauma, then it may take time recover if at all.
I'd work on hydration, offer electrolyte or sugar water to help bring her through shock. Keep her in a quiet place. It would be a good idea to look her over for any other wounds that may need to be treated.
Give her vitamin E (400IU) and B-Complex (1/4 tablet) daily to help with healing.

I'm sorry to hear she was injured. Any idea how it happened? A dog or raccoon maybe?

Thank you!

We have taken her indoors and have been carefully watching her. She seems to be doing much better now. Her head still wobbles a bit but she is starting to open her other eye slowly. We found cat footprints outside the coop so we believe a cat was able to scratch her through the holes of the chicken wire. I will definitely follow through with the advice you’ve given me. Here are some recent photos of her. Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it!
126D6E5F-D4A9-45CA-B6D2-484A3D4722CB.jpeg
33BE40CE-634F-41B0-8852-BC07C5D9B3F9.jpeg

Thank you!

We have taken her indoors and have been carefully watching her. She seems to be doing much better now. Her head still wobbles a bit but she is starting to open her other eye slowly. We found cat footprints outside the coop so we believe a cat was able to scratch her through the holes of the chicken wire. I will definitely follow through with the advice you’ve given me. Here are some recent photos of her. Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it!View attachment 3180878View attachment 3180879
Poor little thing.

You can put a small amount of triple antibiotic ointment on the wounds and even the eye if it needs it.
Hydration is important, but I think you are making sure she's drinking well and eating a little something. I'd still get the vitamins into her for a couple of weeks.
Hopefully she will recover quickly.

Poor little thing.

You can put a small amount of triple antibiotic ointment on the wounds and even the eye if it needs it.
Hydration is important, but I think you are making sure she's drinking well and eating a little something. I'd still get the vitamins into her for a couple of weeks.
Hopefully she will recover quickly.
Thank you for all the helpful advice!!! Just felt the need to update and say she is healthy and back to her old self :)
Thank you once again!!!

Back
Top Bottom