Head Injury

ChickDaze

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 1, 2011
My chicken was trapped and got a head injury. The other chickens picked at it, and it got very bloody and bald. I removed her and she was healing. Then, she accidentally got back in with the other chickens, and now it's bigger and I don't know what to do. I separated her again, but I don't know if ointments are a good idea. I can't bring myself to cull any of my chickens. Help please!

If you don't trust the ointments, try blue kote, that's what I used when my little guy got picked real bad on his wing, and vent, now he's all healed.

When my hen got attacked and her entire back end got torn up, we sprayed vetrucen(I think that's how it's spelled, don't have the bottle by me) it's a spray and works great, and the best thing is it's for all animals and you can use it around their face, that and I put a liquid band-aid over it so she couldn't pick at it and bugs/dirt wouldn't get to it when she went back out, and she was out running around in a week! I also put her in a play pin in our living room because she was so torn up she couldn't move, so deffently keep her separated.

What I'm really worried about is internal organs. Is it even possible for the chickens to peck to them? I know I see her ear (the white thing on the bottom), but is that the cartilage or what?

Last edited:
Can you tell if it's pecked down to the skull. We culled a pullet and a cockerel because of pecked areas. Of course I didn't want to but sometimes it's the best thing to do.
hit.gif

Correction-I don't think I can cull a chicken. I couldn't cut on the frog in biology class, and it was already dead, and I didn't raise it from day two.

I don't think I see skull, but I really don't know.

The important thing is to keep her away from the flock, when they see blood they are like a pack of vultures. Use an antibiotic spray , I use Terramycin for pinkeye . It's in too awkward a place to vet wrap, so you will need to keep her inside away from flies . My goat ripped her horn off and had brain matter exposed , I irrigated it with betadine to wash out any debris and sprayed it every day for a week. She made a full recovery. Keep a close eye on here for seizures of any kind and at the first sign of infection start her on a course of tylan.

Back
Top Bottom