Head is upside down like they are drunk!!!

momofsamjontori

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 1, 2008
I have week old chicks that act like they are fine and then the next min they are putting there heads upside down and walking in circles. They look like they are drunk. When they hatched I only had one doing it and then it stopped and now I have a rir that is doing it and I have isolated her but she is on her back and her leggs kick and then when I talk to her she gets excited but again acts like she is drunk and can't walk.

Are they eating and drinking okay? Might be a vitamin/mineral problem. Or even an electrolyte imbalance if they are not drinking well. You can try Children's liquid vitamins without iron.

It was eatting and drinking and then it starting walking in circles and rotating it's head upside down and then it gets stuck on it's back.
hmm.png

maybe this isn't what you're talking about but maybe it is. When my chickens were chicks, for the first week or so they would just fall asleep randomly. They would put their heads down, and they were out! They never really walked around while doing this though?

-jenny

IT'S AN INFECTION!

Get them on antibiotic ASAP. I lost 11 this spring to the same thing.

Make certain they drink often... but some teramycin in the water, and soon.

first off, is this a natural hatch or were these chicks incubated and now in a brooder? In other words you need to describe their environment.
What is their source of water?
What are you feeding them (and was the rir you talked about an adult bird? > if so there may be a toxin or fungal source (water or feed) which may be the source of this problem.
Need more info.

Back
Top Bottom