Head missing on free range bird

boomercide

Songster
Nov 2, 2015
Chatham ny
I have hens that free range and so dose my nahbor I came home today too find feathers in the yard I lost 2 birds I was able too find one in some bushes and its head and neck was missing my second bird I could not find just feathers from it in different spots and my nahbor lost a bird same day in the same attack but I could not find his bird ether I also found yolk in a beating box and some yolk on the ramp but no shells any where this happened mid day I'm gesso g yard is wide open too any one have an idea on what could of done this too my birds? Please help!!!

I would say a hawk. I've lost 4 hens to a severed head. I caught a hawk on the carcass of two of them. A fox or a coyote will grad it and run. You won't find and feathers.

I would say a hawk. I've lost 4 hens to a severed head. I caught a hawk on the carcass of two of them. A fox or a coyote will grad it and run. You won't find and feathers.

X2
Never had a fox just take the head and neck

Last edited:
X2
Never had a fox just take the head and neck

I have seen it before and head and neck not actually eaten. Happens when fox working a large target, especially when multiple chickens also involved. Decapitating is quick kill. Fox runs about killing as fast as it can. Then it comes back policing up bodies one at a time. Fox does not want to carry a bird that gives alarm call as carried off. Head and neck would be a part easily policed up. Hawk will not kill multiple birds in one visit.

I have seen it before and head and neck not actually eaten. Happens when fox working a large target, especially when multiple chickens also involved. Decapitating is quick kill. Fox runs about killing as fast as it can. Then it comes back policing up bodies one at a time. Fox does not want to carry a bird that gives alarm call as carried off. Head and neck would be a part easily policed up. Hawk will not kill multiple birds in one visit.

Ya idk if it was hawk but doesnt sound like fox.
Ive had fox taking head and neck off of body but took the body and left head and neck behind. Never to it or came back for it.
Lost a few birds this way earlier this year. First time ive ever had head and neck left.
Dogs caught red fox when it couldnt make it through fence with a live adult duck in its mouth.
Fox got away but hasnt returned. Duck also got away and lived.

Back
Top Bottom