head pecked

sjsteinhauser

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 20, 2012
a new 7 week old speckled sussex had its head pecked and all her feathers are gone on top of her head and head is raw .... what should I do to clean and treat her head?

Just simple first aid, clean it with soap and water or a mild wound cleaner, and put some Neosporin or similar on it. Just be sure you do not use an ointment with a "caine" drug in it, such as cetacaine or benzocaine.

You may have to separate her to keep the others from attacking while she heals. You may also have to identify your bully and separate that one somewhere else, so it doesn't single out another one.

Sometimes you can just put BluKote on a wound. It's an antiseptic and the color masks the raw appearance, so that with a little luck, the others will leave her alone.

thanks for the advice...cleaned her head w/ an iodine swab and put some antibiotic cream on it...went to Tractor Supply and pick up a small bottle of Blu-cote. She is in a box w/ food and water and am keeping an eye on her. She is in the warmest room in the house given I have the air con on.

My pullet suffered severe head pecking injury about 7 weeks ago. We actually thought she was dead. She spent four plus weeks in the house healing, with a topical antibiotic (no pain killer in the antibiotic) and some blu-cote, as well. This pullet (then chick) had the skin completely pecked off her scalp to the skull. Now her skin is completely healed and feathers are even growing back. She still looks scruffy and not quite right on the top of the head, but not grotesque as before.

Moved her to a visible chicken coop with run a couple weeks ago, so the other hens and pullets could get used to her. Just three days ago, let her out with the rest of the hens and pullets in the yard. There has been some pecking, but so far she is OK (must admit I'm nervous being here at work today, not being able to monitor).

So, the chicks will heal with a little time and TLC from these head pecking injuries. Now just working on the reintegration.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom