Head scratcher

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by egglee, Oct 2, 2014.

1. egglee

egglee New Egg

Oct 2, 2014
    One of my chickens (about 1yr old) started piling sticks, grass, straw, etc. on her own back and then strutting around the coop at the beginning of summer after going broody for 2-3 weeks. I had originally just chalked it up to broody weirdness but she has now started again. She did not go broody first this time. Does anyone have any idea why she does this?

2. Frizzlett98

Frizzlett98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    Oh my gosh! I just laughed so hard imagining this. I have no clue what she's doing. My only hen that's laying was in the nest box long after she laid her egg. So I grabbed the egg and lifted her out of the box and she was walking around the run picking up stuff and putting it behind her like she was trying to make a nest to lay in. She was in what I call and "egg laying trance" lol.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    This is chicken cammoflauge. Some chickens will tuck extra feathers or big chips of shavings up into their feathers. When they do this, it makes them invisible!!! [​IMG]

4. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

We had love birds do a version of that.... With pieces of paper she'd cut off what ever she could find.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by