Head smells like canned peas

For any chicks that seem to be sleeping alot or sick, I would recommend separating those, so if it's a contagious thing, it doesn't spread. Other than that, I'm not really shur. Good luck!

This may not be what your chicken has but a respiratory disease called coryza causes a foul smell. Since your older chicken has a respiratory condition, it could have been that, but that chicken should have smelled bad. I have never smelled coryza but I would think it would be much worse than canned peas. Since it is a very bad chronic disease I hope that isn't the cause. If the smell is gone I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:
At tis pioint I'm sure they have all been exposed to whatever this is. I'm wondering if more of them were smelly before because this odor was much stronger last week, then it dissipated and I priced this one chick today because I held her up close to my face.

The smell from the chicken is not gone. While I would catch her being active yesterday, she is just not as active as the others...was sleeping when I checked on them this morning and all the others are up. I did smell one of my 3 week olds last night, a golden cuckoo Marans, and they smelled the same way. I'm thinking of doing a sniff test today to see how many smell. The handful I took a whiff of yesterday did not. If it' is an infection of some sort, what do i do? Also, are they old enough for acv in their water? Would that help?

Hi Marie,
We Never did figure it out. She still smells funky. My son thinks she smells like ketchup. She is active, Is always eating, does a hilarious covert running thing where she will dart to one spot, bob her head to one side, then the other, then run and pounce at the next spot. It's so funny to watch! She's growing well just like the rest. A farmer friend of mine said that sometimes they just have a smell of their own.

Back
Top Bottom