Head STUCK out of shell, Straightening Neck after hatch?

SunnySideSilkies

Chirping
Jun 17, 2021
I regularly hatch Silkies. I had a clutch hatch on the 28th/29th of October. I waiting until I thought all fo them were hatched and pulled them out the night of the 30th. I always leave the incubator on for two or three more days just incase I have any late bloomers. well last night I opened the incubator to remove the contents and clean it throughly before either putting it in storage or setting more eggs. well upon moving it I heard pepping so I immediately opened the lid and found a chick with its head sticking out of the shell but nothing else. the membrane was dried fast to the little guy and he also pooped inside of the shell which had started to dry and almost created like a glue only making it more difficult to get his out. I never really assist them with hatching because if they don't then theres usually a reason. ive only had one other successful hatch the I helped that was successful and that was too because of a dried membrane. well I successfully helped this one and I think he may have been In that condition for a little bit of time because there was a slit down the membrane and the exposed feathers were already starting to fluff out. I basically knew that he was going to have some kind of neck problems just due to how he was positioned. I did candle everyone on day 17 and they all seemed to be positioned the right way (that I could tell) I don't know if he got twisted from struggling to hatch or what the root cause was. ive never had wry neck in any other chicks. but I wasn't sure the bast way to try and straighten his little neck. I was thinking of trying to make a little brace (like a loose fitting collar). but I wasn't sure if there was a better option from someone that has dealt with this before. I know that its imperative to get his started with treatment before he gets older. his neck isn't twisted and will straighten more if I assist. im afraid that its going to make him develop splay leg because he keeps trying to stand straight upwards in am attempt to have his head in the correct position, but is causes him to kick out his one leg for balance. I am open to any and all suggestions. I have given him electrolytes and a chick jumpstart . I know he was not piped or hatching on the 31st but idk if it occurred that night or the first/ 1st at night. I found him last night when I helped the hatch and then put him in the incubator over night and this morning he was all fluffed out already. right now I have him separated from the other chicks due to them trampling him or him falling in the water and drowning. ive been giving him water with an eye dropper until I figure out what to do. Thank you.

If you haven't already read it, this article has helpful info about treating wry neck. The chick Jump Start supplement looks like it contains vitamins E and B1, but vitamin E works most effectively with selenium, which it doesn't appear to contain.

I've recently had success treating chicks with wry neck by administering Poultry Nutri-Drench.

Hope your chick's doing better soon. What a fighter!

Hello, we hatched our half-Silkies a few weeks ago and I was worried about one as well as she seemed to have a crooked leg but after a few days, she turned out fine. She was also a slow hatcher but we didn't help even though we wanted to. Hope your baby turns out okay.

I regularly hatch Silkies. I had a clutch hatch on the 28th/29th of October. I waiting until I thought all fo them were hatched and pulled them out the night of the 30th. I always leave the incubator on for two or three more days just incase I have any late bloomers. well last night I opened the incubator to remove the contents and clean it throughly before either putting it in storage or setting more eggs. well upon moving it I heard pepping so I immediately opened the lid and found a chick with its head sticking out of the shell but nothing else. the membrane was dried fast to the little guy and he also pooped inside of the shell which had started to dry and almost created like a glue only making it more difficult to get his out. I never really assist them with hatching because if they don't then theres usually a reason. ive only had one other successful hatch the I helped that was successful and that was too because of a dried membrane. well I successfully helped this one and I think he may have been In that condition for a little bit of time because there was a slit down the membrane and the exposed feathers were already starting to fluff out. I basically knew that he was going to have some kind of neck problems just due to how he was positioned. I did candle everyone on day 17 and they all seemed to be positioned the right way (that I could tell) I don't know if he got twisted from struggling to hatch or what the root cause was. ive never had wry neck in any other chicks. but I wasn't sure the bast way to try and straighten his little neck. I was thinking of trying to make a little brace (like a loose fitting collar). but I wasn't sure if there was a better option from someone that has dealt with this before. I know that its imperative to get his started with treatment before he gets older. his neck isn't twisted and will straighten more if I assist. im afraid that its going to make him develop splay leg because he keeps trying to stand straight upwards in am attempt to have his head in the correct position, but is causes him to kick out his one leg for balance. I am open to any and all suggestions. I have given him electrolytes and a chick jumpstart . I know he was not piped or hatching on the 31st but idk if it occurred that night or the first/ 1st at night. I found him last night when I helped the hatch and then put him in the incubator over night and this morning he was all fluffed out already. right now I have him separated from the other chicks due to them trampling him or him falling in the water and drowning. ive been giving him water with an eye dropper until I figure out what to do. Thank you.
it does seem to get worse with stress. I think it is more of a muscular issue then nerve system. IMG_5986.JPG IMG_5995.JPG IMG_5988.JPG IMG_5982.JPG

Hello, we hatched our half-Silkies a few weeks ago and I was worried about one as well as she seemed to have a crooked leg but after a few days, she turned out fine. She was also a slow hatcher but we didn't help even though we wanted to. Hope your baby turns out okay.
yeah I never help them hatch unless its apparent that the membrane dried out (the only one ive ever helped) but this little fella was just too far out (well his head and face) that I couldn't not help. I fell like its different if they just pip but he was so close and im not sure how long he was even stuck like that. I have the incubator in my bedroom right now because we are rearranging the area that it usually is, but it couldn't of been longer then a day or I think I would of heard him peeping more. ive had like slight splay leg that corrected itself and had a silkie get injured and developed a minor case of wry neck that cured itself with just vitamin supplements but im not as confident with him that its going to jsut work its self out

Back
Top Bottom