Head was stuck in box, now her neck is extended/SHE'S BETTER NOW!

Quote:
And I didn't know it was bad for cats and dogs! We both learned something.
big_smile.png

Motrin is great for eggbinding and gleet. Give a whole pill to large fowl, and a half a pill to a bantam.

One of my young barred rocks managed to jump down from her perch and catch her leg/ foot in the small hook that was on the wall (used sometimes for an extra feed container). She must have hung there for some time with the hook looped round her ankle, probably overnight, before I found her in a very awkward position the next morning.

She looked pretty sore for the rest of the day but the next day was walking around just fine - they are pretty tough.

Good luck I hope your girl pulls through.

Quote:
Long time no talk. If Clementine has made it this long I would think she is just sore and it might take a few days to get the soreness better. As far as her crop not being full I would pull her out and give her some scrambled eggs or other treats to make sure she is getting enough to eat. Maybe you should isolate her for a few days to get enough food in her. I hope she recovers O.K. Keep us posted.

SARA

Thank you all for the encouraging words. You're right, if something was really broken she probably wouldn't be walking around at all. She never liked being handled much before, so I don't want to mess too much with her. But I will try to take her aside & offer her some special food, to keep her energized. She seemed to be holding her head just a bit higher today, but that could have just been my wishful thinking. She makes you want to ask her "What did you lose? Can I help you look for it?"

Congratulations to all of you who were able to read & understand the info in that linked article. I confess I was as lost reading the English as well as the Spanish version. Perhaps it does help with the coccidiosis, but is it also recommended for pain relief in chickens? And how would you dose just one bird? Separate her & put it in her water? Or push a pill down her throat?

I appreciate your imput on Clementine's behalf.

Quote:
You explain it much better than my vet! lol Thank you!

Actually, I've been told it's most common in high producing layer birds, and by experience it's very common in Modern Games. I have a MG hen that gets it once or twice a year, before her first egg of the season and if I move her to a new coop (stress). She has a minor case of it right now actually. None of her flock mates have it, and she's been with them for 2 years.

Sunny_Side_Up: it will help with both pain and swelling. pop a whole pill down her throat. But be sure to by 200mg, not anything higher or you'll have to dose it differently.

Thank you all for the encouragment & advice. Clementine seems all better now, without any treatment other than time. The other chickens weren't pecking at or picking on her during her recovery. I was concerned about that, you know how chickens (like school kids) will often pick on someone who looks/acts differently.

She went from looking like she was searching for something very small on the ground to appearing to be looking for something a bit larger that she'd misplaced. But she was still walking around, going up to roost, pecking at treats, acting more or less normal. Today her head is up, she's moving naturally, with that jazzy head-bobbing with each chicken-step. I believe she's all better now.
celebrate.gif
D.gif
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom