Headless chicken

And i agree to the racoon. If you had a weasel slipping into your coop, all your birds would be dead now. Weasels get into a murderous frenzy and kill everything that moves. Most likely a 'coon has grabbed the head and tried to pull the bird through the hole and ripped off the head.
What kind of wire are you using? Racoons learn who to chew through the standard chicken-wire, so hardware cloth is better in your case. - yes i know that dang stuff is so expensive! - I use chicken wire too for my duck-house.
Try to get a racoon trap, they are cheap at farm stores, bought a set for $25 at TSC. Then dispose the 'coon and don't talk about…

And i agree to the racoon. If you had a weasel slipping into your coop, all your birds would be dead now. Weasels get into a murderous frenzy and kill everything that moves. Most likely a 'coon has grabbed the head and tried to pull the bird through the hole and ripped off the head.
What kind of wire are you using? Racoons learn who to chew through the standard chicken-wire, so hardware cloth is better in your case. - yes i know that dang stuff is so expensive! - I use chicken wire too for my duck-house.
Try to get a racoon trap, they are cheap at farm stores, bought a set for $25 at TSC. Then dispose the 'coon and don't talk about…
It’s perfectly legal in most states to kill almost animals causing predation issues with livestock and poultry. I’m aware there’s a few exceptions but foxes, weasels, mink, coyote, raccoons etc are fine to remove.

You would be surprised just how small a hole a raccoon of decent size can squeeze through. Years ago I left eggs in a nest box for a hen to sit on and I knew for a fact they were there the night before. Next morning gone before sunrise so I knew it wasn’t the hen eating them. There was a very small depression on one corner of the pen I could barely fit my hand under and into the pen. Sure enough I caught a raccoon in a cage with eggs 2 ft away. He was a decent sized raccoon too. I didn’t believe that was the right animal so I left eggs in the nest for the next few days but pulled the cage. Nothing else. So it was most likely him.
I assume cage was inside pen?
Was there any hair on the mesh near the depression it squeezed thru?

It’s perfectly legal in most states to kill almost animals causing predation issues with livestock and poultry. I’m aware there’s a few exceptions but foxes, weasels, mink, coyote, raccoons etc are fine to remove.
You would be surprised how many people think raccoons are "sooo cuuute" and should be protected…
full

I had to remove a 'coon just last weekend, it is illegal here in WV to catch and release them elsewhere, so i had to kill it - boy was i harassed when i told some folks!

You would be surprised how many people think raccoons are "sooo cuuute" and should be protected…
full

I had to remove a 'coon just last weekend, it is illegal here in WV to catch and release them elsewhere, so i had to kill it - boy was i harassed when i told some folks!
Anybody who catches a raccoon and releases it that’s causing problems with chickens isn’t too bright. I really don’t care though since I’m not feeding their chickens. Someone has to save the world right? ;)

Anybody who catches a raccoon and releases it that’s causing problems with chickens isn’t too bright. I really don’t care though since I’m not feeding their chickens. Someone has to save the world right? ;)
You're absolutely correct! - I just don't talk about that dirty business anymore, some knuckleheads may even want to protect the plague, since its almost extinct today.

Back
Top Bottom