1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

headless hen (a little graphic)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by flip9109, Feb 28, 2008.

1. flip9109

flip9109 Songster

Jan 14, 2008
    st paul mn
    I found on of my japanese blacktail hens laying on the ground with her chest torn open and her head pulled off which i found about 25 ft away with a pile of feathers.
    My yard has a 6ft privacy fence around it with No holes on the bottom so nothing can walk crawl or dig in. So it had to be a cat or a hawk right? My first thought was hawk untill i found the head so far away. my experiance with hawks says they grab and go. but there is nowhere for a cat to ambush near where the attack took place. I cant figure out what it was. What do you folks think?

2. suenrob

suenrob Songster

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    Wow!!! Thats aweful Flip. Sorry for your loss. I don't have any idea what might have happened, just wanted to give my condolances and to welcome you to BYC. Hope it dosen't happen again!!!!

3. crazychickens

crazychickens Songster

Jan 19, 2008
    Belleville, Wisconsin
    I had a great horned owl, rip the heads of a few of mine.

4. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Maybe something like a weasel or something?

5. russell

russell In the Brooder

Sep 11, 2007
    its sounds like a hawk to me. I had a really bad time with them last spring. what you describe is also what i found.

6. flip9109

flip9109 Songster

Jan 14, 2008
    st paul mn
    I've seen owls do it to pheasants at night. but I've never heard of it in mid-day.

no weasels no way for it to get in. whatever it was had to be able jump 6ft of fly

7. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    :aww im sorry about your hen

8. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Defeathered and headless is a bird of prey...I'm sorry for your loss.

9. FLchook

FLchook Songster

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Can a weasel climb?? Just a thought.... Could have been opposum or coon? Not sure where you live, so you might not even have those creatures.

I just had something break a hole into the side of my coop last night, and found something like you described. The hole was about 4 foot off the ground too! It seems to me that predators can do some amazing stunts to get to our feathered friends. [​IMG]

Im so sorry for your loss, its always so tough. [​IMG]

Shannon

10. flip9109

flip9109 Songster

Jan 14, 2008
    st paul mn
    I'm leaning your way Spottedcrow. I've just never seen one stick around to eat in confined area. I had similar evidance from cat attacks but they were always near a bush or somthing they can hide in an wait for the right time to pounce. This was out in the open a few feet from the fence.

(those paticular kitties are no longer a threat)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: