Healthy looking chickens laying runny gross eggs

Michelle703

Hatching
Apr 6, 2020
Central Virginia
Hoping someone can advise on this issue...I’ve looked everywhere for an answer!
We’ve been raising chickens for almost a decade and haven’t seen this. We have twenty year-old chickens of various breeds (19 hens, 1 roo). They all look perfectly healthy. Feather sheen, red combs, alert and curious, no wheezing, clean butts. Their poop is perfect. No signs of worms, lice or other parasites. They have a secure coop with straw bedding and free range on our large partially wooded property. (We have another separated flock on another area of the property that has no issues.)

Their eggs have become, for lack of a better word, gross. About three weeks ago they started giving us one or two bad eggs, then three or four, and so on each day until now they are almost all bad. So obvs something contagious is making its way through the flock. But with no other symptoms. The bad eggs have a runny dark yellow yolk with watery whites and sometimes are blood tinged. But from the outside they are perfect - beautiful colors and nice thick shells with not a trace of imperfection.
Is there a disease or parasite that shows no outward symptoms in the hen but that affects the contents of the egg in this way? Please let me know if anyone else has experience in dealing with this!
Chicken breeds include Easter eggers, lakeshore eggers, marans. They eat a high quality, commercial grain-based feed. We did start ACV in the water last week. They seem so happy and healthy.

I had a pair of Campine hens that would lay bloody eggs. They weren't watery though, as far as I could tell. I never really looked into why they were laying them before I got rid of them because they would dig huge holes in the garden. I did notice that they would eat this thin white plastic that was on some old wood that was in their yard... I thought that might have something to do with it, but I don't know. Not sure if they were both laying them either.
Do your chickens eat anything strange?

Is there a disease or parasite that shows no outward symptoms in the hen but that affects the contents of the egg in this way?
Maybe.
Really need to see egg contents before making a guess.
Please post some pics.
Any chance they got into something toxic while ranging?

We have another separated flock on another area of the property that has no issues.
Have these birds always been separated from the 'problem layers'?
Ho old are they?
Different breeds?
Same food and bedding?

Oh, and.....Welcome to BYC! @Michelle703 Sorry you're having troubles.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1586265318067.png

Have these birds always been separated from the 'problem layers'?
Ho old are they?
Different breeds?
Same food and bedding?
Yes, the two flocks have always been physically separated. The other non-problem flock is mixed: comets, easter eggers, jersey giants, faverolles, RIRs, barred rocks. About twenty of them are 14 months old, and about ten others are various (older) ages - total of 30 birds.
Both flocks get the same food and have the same straw bedding, but I do find that the problem flock eats less of the commercial feed and drinks less water. They are strictly kept in line by the rooster, who is aggressive and wants to murder us. He was a surprise from the hatchery.

that the problem flock eats less of the commercial feed and drinks less water. They are strictly kept in line by the rooster, who is aggressive and wants to murder us.
How big is their coop and run, in feet by feet?
Could it be that the male is stressing them and/or keeping them from eating??

The fenced run is 16x26 and there is a 2 story 10x10x12 coop in this area (formerly a guinea house). But unless they are locked in the coop for the night, they always have access to the free range area in addition to the run, which is currently about 1/4 acre or so, grass and woods.
The male is very bossy and constantly tells the hens what to do but it's unlikely he keeps them from eating. There's just too many hens for him to keep them all in line at once, and too large an area. If anything, he's the one who's stressed out. We are planning to give him just 6 hens and taking the others to their own mobile coop.

Back
Top Bottom