Heart Sick

balbrt1

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 13, 2013
Illinois
I lost a baby last night. Just heartsick..Everyone was fine when I went to bed They had their light on, food, water. No signs of loose stool or stress nor no pick marks ..I feed them medicaed feed and I have probodics and electrolyites ( sorry about spelling) Any suggests? I don't want to lose anymore..:)

I'm so sorry for your loss! I have had two batches of chicks...my first ones...the first set are 7 1/2 week old Barred Rocks and the second batch are 3 1/2 week old Barred Rocks (well, two of them are a mix I think). I haven't lost one yet (fingers crossed!) so I don't know how you feel, but my heart goes out to you! From what I've read in many posts here on BYC, sometimes there's just no reason or rhyme to losing chicks. Some just don't make it. Could be too cold, too hot, could be they all piled up to sleep and the poor baby suffocated (all causes of death I've read here). Could have had something wrong inside that you couldn't see. It sounds to me like you are doing everything right, so it's not your fault! I hope and pray you don't lose any more! HUGS!
hugs.gif

I feel for you---sorry to hear of your loss. Raised chicks for five years now (not a bunch of them, but about 40 meaties the last three, and about 45-50 day old layers and bantams in years 1-3)...thought I had it down, until last month when I was so excited to get my first batch of layers in three years, ordered them from MI before they were even a glint in their daddy's eye...waited the 5 weeks for them to be laid, then hatched and shipped--22 arrived by mail all safe and sound, in the midst of the cold snaps we'd gotten. Had to revamp my initial plans for the brooder (I have an awesome one out in the coop ready to go) because it was so cold...so they were in my mudroom. They did great the first day and night...then I was totally shocked to find a lifeless body the third morning. One of my precious wheaten Marans babies hadn't made it--not sure if she was smothered by her buddies or if she had some sort of unseen defect as there were no outward signs. Been a little paranoid since but the remaining 21 have done just fine, and I did end up moving them outside to the lovely brooder that had been waiting for them after about 2 weeks, with additional heat to be safe.

Best of luck on the rest--sounds like you were doing everything right, within your power. Sometimes it is not preventable. Feed, fresh water, warmth, enough room to be able to move away from the warmth, good bedding (not cedar or newspaper), and a safe brooder...beyond that, it's up to them!

I am so sorry for your loss :(. I am a first time chick Momma and I lost one of my babies at about 5 days old also. A white Orpington. She was lethargic and so I was droppering sugar water into her beak. There must have been something wrong with her, failure to thrive, somthing internal.....guess I will never know. It was quite a blow to me also. My other 27 are doing well thankfully. Sound like you are doing all the right things. Good luck with the rest!

Best of luck on the rest--sounds like you were doing everything right, within your power. Sometimes it is not preventable. Feed, fresh water, warmth, enough room to be able to move away from the warmth, good bedding (not cedar or newspaper), and a safe brooder...beyond that, it's up to them!
Great answer and so true!

the one chick I lost was a Buff Orpington.. I have been giving them grit because I did let them have whole wheat oats..Could that have been to rich for their systems? They are in my family room with a light so I know they are not cold..I have them up off the floor..what meds would I get to have on hand for cocci? They are so cute. They are trying to fly. Any help or suggestion would be wonderful

Back
Top Bottom