Heartbroken after losing 75+ birds, 2 turkeys, & 10 ducks.

Well these coyotes around here have been running in packs....
If I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. I'm just assuming because
I've never seen a rural dog in my area. There are two down the street but
they have been raised around poultry & other farm animals.
Did you hear the coyotes last night? Also, you might want to put up a game camera.

Do you know any of the people you Relocated your problem to?
There is a reason that no state allows you to relocate any kind of wildlife. Not only does it put your problem on others, the poor animal that is throw into a new environment/area either starves or is killed by other predators in the new area.

Not all states are the same. In general the general public is not allowed to relocate but wildlife trappers with licenses are and pretty much every state has those. So there is a choice.

So very sorry for your loss! I am hatching eggs as we speak and 10x30 pen being built, we ended up spending the extra money and got hardware cloth, i was abke to find it on amazon for $280 i got 2 rolls of 4ftx100 1/2 holes, it is really nice...free shipping got it in a few days! I know price is still high and thats the cheapest i found and looked for months, but its worth it to do it right the first time! we are also laying foot wide pieces alomg the whole bottom on the outside to avoid digging in, im not burying it but attaching to the bottom piece of wood securely, same as burying it but easier, worls the same way, i may even cover all that with ornamental rocks for looks and extra security, i deal with the same predators you listed and we are new to our area (1year here) so we havent experience it yet..add 1 hawk family and an owl family that live here as well! My neighbor gave upon chcikens we are just beginning, but mine will not be free ranged unless we are here to watch them!

& I believe someone above said they had solar powered ones?
We have two solar powered electric fence chargers. You can get them at farm & feed stores usually. They have different versions. We have the 25 Mile Parmack with the 6 volt battery. There is also a 30 Mile with a 12 volt battery. They run off of solar power during the day and the battery at night. They pack enough punch to keep my horse in ;). They run close to $200 but are so easy to set up. If you have the ability to have electricity where your coop is at then you can get a cheaper plug in electric fence charger. I have one for our dog pen that was around $30 on Amazon. It keeps our dogs in the yard :)

Do you know any of the people you Relocated your problem to?
There is a reason that no state allows you to relocate any kind of wildlife (other than state licensed trappers and wildlife officers). Not only does it put your problem on others, the poor animal that is throw into a new environment/area either starves or is killed by other predators in the new area. Plus the few that survive can upset the natural balance of an area.
I permanently relocated the fox and I have talked to one of the local fish and wildlife officers.

There is always another one to take it's place. Because we are rural and live on a dead end road we get plenty of relocations from others. Once I have found a young gosling in our road that someone apparently dropped off
IMAG0001910 01.jpg
IMAG0002910 03.jpg

DSCF0001tues 03.jpg
06250003 01.jpg

I permanently relocated the fox and I have talked to one of the local fish and wildlife officers.

I think the best thing to do is talk to a wildlife official in your area before acting if have a wildlife problem. Trapping to kill or relocate is not wise or legal in most areas. This takes knowledge, experience, and training to determine what is best for the animal. Don’t forget besides decreasing survival for the animal, putting the problem to another area, and the risk to spread diseases such as rabies are just a few good reasons why we should consult experts in the field.

Back
Top Bottom