Heartbroken but still hopeful

bumpercarr

Songster
7 Years
Aug 29, 2012
Tularosa, New Mexico
This morning when I went out to feed and water, I heard my broody hen (who has been sitting for exactly 18 days now on 10 eggs) moving around in her box and decided to check on her. She seemed very agitated, and since the eggs are due to hatch anytime, I figured she was feeling eggs moving around and it was bothering her (it's her first time). There were two eggs that she had pushed out of her nest in her agitation (I don't think on purpose, I think she was just getting up and down and moving around and they fell out). One was broken, I would guess the chick was about a day away. The second one had a chip out of the shell, but the membrane is intact so I went ahead and put it back under her although I doubt it will hatch. I've made the side of the box higher so that she can't push anymore out without serious effort. I just hope that I haven't lost more chicks. Does anyone think that the chipped one will hatch? At least there are 8 more
fl.gif

It's highly unlikely that the chipped one will hatch, but since it's so close I could be wrong, Stranger things have happened, Even without this type of accident there's still only a 50/50 chance that all of them would hatch anyway, so it's really anyone's guess. Good luck

I hear peeping and saw one of the eggs was pipping this morning when Winnie got off of the nest for a few moments. I'm pretty excited! I have no idea what I'm doing, but hopefully we will both figure it out!

I'm sure she will know what to do. Be patient and give her a couple of days to bring out her brood. As long as she has access to food and water Mother Nature will guide the way.

I'm sure she will know what to do. Be patient and give her a couple of days to bring out her brood. As long as she has access to food and water Mother Nature will guide the way.
That is great advice! Still, it is hard knowing that at least one is trying to make its way into the world! I'm actually going out of town for three days, so by the time I'm back I may actually be able to see a little head poking out. Thanks for all of the support!

I have 2 hens on eggs..one is experienced and the other is a first timer! Tomorrow is day 18...They are together in a dog house between the 2 there are 18 eggs...I also have 6 in the incubator. When the one hen first started sitting the other kept getting in the nest box with her and laying. So there ended up being 24 eggs under 2 hens. so I moved them to their own coop! Gave them 18 of the eggs and put the rest in the bator...don't know what to expect! Last year I only did bator hatching!

At least one chick has hatched. Saw it poking its head out from under momma this morning. Momma is struggling, mouth open, I think she needs water. I'm going to give her a little cup of water with electrolytes just to make sure she gets some into her. It's 85 degrees today, I don't want her to dehydrate while waiting for more to hatch. Keeping fingers crossed
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom