Heat affecting laying?

chickenbyddozn

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 20, 2008
midwest
We have a flock of about 43 layers and are only getting about 7-13 eggs a day, Turkey's quit laying and ducks quit laying ...Is it the fact that it's hot? How long should I expect them to be "on hold"
idunno.gif

I've got about 45 chickens and are lucky to get 10 eggs a day. Normally it's 30 to 35.

It is 108 here right now. (McIntosh County, Eastern Oklahoma).

I just went down and turned the sprinkler on in the chicken yard. My chickens have a large pecan tree and a big sand plum thicket to run around under but they sure do love to be watered in this heat.

The first year I got them, I put A/C in the hen house. I made the mistake of letting a friend know about it. She STILL teases me about my chickens being airconditioned.

DonnaBelle

Yeah, 100* heat has affected some of my girls too. I have a pen of 20 hens that I was getting 18 eggs/day from but that had gone down to 12 eggs/day ( I do have 3 broody black stars though ). Had to go buy 10 more hens, but they're laying 8-9 eggs/day for me right now. Certain breeds are more susceptible to heat.

I totally had to laugh at "not telling your friends" Some people just don't understand the "love of our hens" I feel better knowing other's are going through this. PLEASE PLEASE bring on fall!

My chickens are on strike but my quail are still laying well. Who knows? Last summer was a lot hotter & they laid better last summer than this summer. Maybe its because they are getting older. Yup, that's my answer because the quail are first year laying & their laying like crazy.

Back
Top Bottom