Heat and watermelon

It is incredibly hot here in central texas. I am giving my chickens a little bit of watermelon every day. The only other thing they get is their 20% chick starter crumble.

I know that treats every day is a no-no, but in this extreme heat I think the watermelon is helping them to stay hydrated.

Am I over doing it? We won't be out of the 105-108 for the next two weeks. I think we break the double digits on the 17th. Ugh!
I have six ladies in Mesa Arizona and since we don’t have a swamp cooler or misting system for them near the coop, we froze, partial water bottles and put them out on the hottest days. Also, we have plastic containers we feel with freshwater that they can wade in. And best of all! We started making chick-sickles for them. In plastic containers, we froze fruits, vegetables, spices and meal worms, and let the chickens have fun with them on the hottest days! If you’re in the Phoenix and surrounding areas, you know, we had the hardest summer on record. And our flat toughed it out successfully! Hope that helps!

Attachments

• IMG_2816.jpeg
    IMG_2816.jpeg
    452.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2817.jpeg
    IMG_2817.jpeg
    353.8 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom