Heat and watermelon

When the heat index is above 95, mine go into air conditioning during the peak of the day. I keep it high enough - at 78, so that the temperature isn't as drastic when they go back out at 6pm.
I wish I had the luxury of this. Thinking about buying an outdoor evaporative unit, but with our humidity I don't know if this helps or hurts. I could put it in their run and at least cool that space down.

Here in south Texas, our average high for the next several days is 104, don't ask about the heat index... 🥵

My girls do love their watermelon! Lately I've been giving them cucumber, they really enjoy it.
:oops: I peel the cucs first, after watching them doing gymnastics trying to avoid eating that part :lol: yes my ladies are spoiled!

A mister might work well for you - give them some cool, wet dirt to scratch around in.
I do cool down their run every time I change their water, I dump the water being changed out in the most shady corner of their run. I also water our lawn when the shade hits the east side of the house. The find that failry quick. I also trickle water by their run when the shade hits that area. They enjoy walking in the water/wet dirt right before they shut down for the night.

I have thought of a mister, but am concerned with the humidity levels in central Texas. If the humidity is below 25% I will wet their run though.

Back
Top Bottom