Heat Illness or Respiratory?

WendyHTN

Chirping
Apr 14, 2022
I have a hen (now isolated) who has been acting off, this is day 3. At first I thought heat, so she's isolated with a fan, water, and food. She won't roost or lie down so I thought egg bound, checked and found no egg. She hasn't laid in several days.
She is drinking, eating some (none this morning), but I never feel a full crop, can't find her crop even right after eating. Her poop is watery. Comb and wattles red, breathing through mouth sometimes. She won't roost or lay down.
It's clear she doesn't feel well, but I can't find a cause/source. I had a 3 yr old hen die this summer, reproductive issues we believe. I had one drop dead overnight with no signs(year and a half) possibly for heat (when I cut her open all I found unusual was an egg yolk but no shell) and now this one (6 months old).
Rest of the flock is doing well.

Edit: I gave her Nutri-Drench this morning. Afterward she was stretching her neck, mouth open, so I listened to her chest and this may be respiratory. Checked for gapeworms and nothing there. I have Vet RX on hand and an antibiotic... thoughts?

I had one a few weeks ago get some sort of respiratory issue. I added Nutri-Drench and Vet RX to her water and within two days the swelling in her face and wattles went down. She is totally fine and back to normal now.

Back
Top Bottom