Heat in Texas

KofLee

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 9, 2016
Austin TX
Hi ya'll, my name is Kim I live in Austin & got my chicks on 02/05/16. So cute 2day old chicks. Now my flock of 6 (2 Barred Rocks, 2 Buff Orpingtons & 2 Speckled Sussexs) is pretty spoiled! Any tips advice on keeping the ladies cool (enough) in 100+ temps would be appreciated. I found BYC from doing research after 'sunbathing' yeah I freaked until I found out those funky positions were normal. Just happy to be here. I plan on getting more next year (but will have to convert the shed...& run). Ya'll have a great day! K

Hi Kim, welcome to BYC! Here is a thread with some ideas to keep them cool. Thanks for joining us!
smile.png

One thing that can make a big difference is putting out swallow pans of water for the chickens to stand in. Cool feet = cooler body. Also they need shade, shade and more shade, natural or manufactured. Tarps over the run area to provide shade is also good. You may want to join your state thread to find out how others manage, and what breeds handle the heat best. In some very hot locales, coops are built with two solid walls and 2 made of wire so heat doesn't build up so intensely inside. Just put you state name in the search box and it will pop up.

One thing that can make a big difference is putting out swallow pans of water for the chickens to stand in. Cool feet = cooler body. Also they need shade, shade and more shade, natural or manufactured. Tarps over the run area to provide shade is also good. You may want to join your state thread to find out how others manage, and what breeds handle the heat best. In some very hot locales, coops are built with two solid walls and 2 made of wire so heat doesn't build up so intensely inside. Just put you state name in the search box and it will pop up.

Thanks Drumstick Diva! I will look up my state. I lurked here for about 6 months (before chickens) & have gained alot of knowledge. I had a narrow a/c drip pan that I filled w/water and frozen 1ltr bottles. They didn't seem to like it (took up too much space?). I am going to switch it w/a birdbath top & a half gal frozen jug tomorrow. The coop & run is open air/covered with metal and a smaller run the small coop w/bars & boxes are inside. I got three eggs today...so 3 are just starting to lay. Got my first egg on 07/01. So proud...Thanks again! K

Back
Top Bottom