Heat Lamp and Light in general

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by candaceg, May 30, 2008.

1. candaceg

candaceg New Egg

May 30, 2008
    My 6 chicks are two weeks old today and are moving from the house to the garage in their plastic tub brooder. We've had the heat lamp on them continuously, but I have provided a bit of "shade" with a tea towel so the light isn't so bright all the time.

Our coop and run is all set to go when they are ready to move in, but I am assuming they need to stay in the brooder for another week or so? Is 3 weeks of age too early to move to the coop? It's a small coop (the Chick-n-Barn by Ware). How do you transition from a constant heat lamp to no light at night? Or do you need to keep a light on in the coop? I'm not comfortable putting a heat lamp the coop. We are in N. Idaho and the temps are in the 50's overnight.

Thanks for your insight!

2. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Hi, I've had my girls in the coop since 2 weeks old with the heat lamp on only at night. It's been in the 40's here in New Jersey. If you're not OK with the heat light I'd put in a 100watt bulb at least at night. Good Luck![​IMG]

3. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Bumping this up as I am interested in this topic too.

Can anyone expand on this? What temps do 4-8 week chicks need?

4. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Mine have had their own comfy home right out in the coop near the ladies since they were 2 days old, with a heat lamp and blankets

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  5. Montana-Hens

Montana-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Buxton, Montana
    I got to the the point I could not handled the dusty anymore & my 4 girls went out at 4 1/2 weeks.

I have it insulated on part of it, and live in Montana where our last frost is about the middle of June so our nights are cold. Their first week out it rained non-stop.

What I did is run the heat lamp the whole time. I figured that a 250 watt bulb, was cheap insurance.

Some days I would go out and they would be under it in the am, other days they would not. They figured out better than I could.

This AM it was only 40 when I opened the door so I left the heat lamp on in the one end in case they got chilled. Once the sun starts shining on it directly I will turn off the light for the day

Here is a picture showing two of them looking out.

[​IMG]

6. sara

sara Title Needed Here

They would need the heat lamp more at night than during the day depending on your temperatures. I think I spoil mine and keep the lights for them longer than necessary. [​IMG]

7. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Maine and Montana are chilly for chicks for sure! We are using a 250 watt heat lamp and they seem happy. I keep raising it up a little each week to wean them off the hot temp. But my DH looked up the cost of running a 250 watt heat lamp. 25 bucks a month. [​IMG] Our eggs are going to cost us a fortune! lol but who cares.....

8. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine have been out since 3-4 weeks old. I had heat for them and they slept under it, but stayed away during the day unless it was freezing out. At 6 weeks, they collectively decided to sleep on the roost, where there is no heat. They have been absolutely fine and happy. I kept the heat on for another week, but they avoided it. So for mine, 6 weeks was when they didn't want the extra heat anymore. I'm in NY near Buffalo, temps at that time were about 50-60 during the day, 35-45 at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by