Heat lamp for mailed chicks?

Esrun

Songster
Jan 29, 2024
We have chicks coming from Mt. Healthy. They’re our first mailed chicks and I got an email from them today saying heat lamps are better for shipped chicks. Is this true? I feel like they would know, right? I had planned on the MHP bc the lamp makes me nervous but we do have one.

That’s exactly what the article said. It said they will choose warmth over food. So the heat lamp does a better job at warming them.
With a brooder plate, the chicks have to make a choice between heat and food/water. With a heat lamp, they can have everything at once. If they have just been shipped, they need it all now. Within a few days, they will be able to alternate eating with warming up (brooder plate).

With a brooder plate, the chicks have to make a choice between heat and food/water. With a heat lamp, they can have everything at once. If they have just been shipped, they need it all now. Within a few days, they will be able to alternate eating with warming up (brooder plate).
So technically the heat lamp is only needed until they bounce back? It’s our first time getting mailed chicks 🐥 😬 I’m so glad they sent that article!

Back
Top Bottom