Heat Lamp For Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by chickbird, Oct 23, 2011.

1. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    It Is Now Down To 38-40 Degrees At Night, Quiet Cool, I Have 5 Wk. Old Corturnix And Have Been Turning On A Heat Lamp At Night. What Are Posters Doing To Keep Quail Warm During The Cold Weather? Turning On The Light Does Mean They Have Light All Night And Natural Light During The Day???

2. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Well, for my older coturnix (1-5 years old) that have been outside for some time, get a 3Mil clear plastic shroud over their pen. This protects them from the rain, and cold wind. They will be good down to about 11 deg. F., with no other heat. Just make sure you have 2 or more birds in a pen.

5 week old coturnix are basically "GROWN", but if they are new to the outside elements, then keep up the supplemental heat until they have molted into their fall/winter feathers. If they are going to be outside from now on, then wean them of the heat as fast as possible. Adding to much heat may prolong their molt cycle, and you will have to keep up the heat, way longer than you need to. Attrition is normal during the change of seasons!

A properly acclimated adult coturnix is very cold hearty! No supplemental heat should be needed down to the teens (F). Just keep them sheltered from the cold wind and rain.

Of course, frozen water is another issue in the winter.

Lighting for fall/winter egg production is another issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by