Heat lamp for winter!!

Fussy8

Songster
8 Years
Aug 4, 2011
Utah
So I have a silkie that is hatching eggs and my flock is cold! so I desided today was the day to break out the lamp! well the construction light we have is 1 foot heigh and 1 foot long and it is not big enough to warm the whole coop so I pulled out the 4 foot tall construction lamp that is really bright (200 w) is it too bright?!?!?!?!

Why do you think the chickens are cold? My chickens have always done fine in the winter without supplemental heat, even the silkie I used to have. As long as the chickens are feathered out, they shouldn't need a heat lamp, even in winter. You mentioned you had a broody hatch some chicks, but if the chicks are cold, mama hen will usually take care of it, and under mama is going to be just as warm, if not warmer, than a heat lamp. Also, keep in mind that if you get all your chickens dependant on a constant heat source, what will you do if the power goes out? That could impact your chickens far worse than not having heat at all from the start.

I just checked the 5 day forecast for Ogden, UT. Highs near 50 and lows around 30.

I have to say, although your town may be somewhat colder, I don't know, but it is only November 1st. Winter is coming and will be worse, no? The whole heating thing escapes me, personally, but I know others feel the need. I don't know what I'd do with a broody Silkie in the flock. Are they not about the broodiest thing ever? Brooding now seems out of place, to my mind, in our climate, but what do I know?

For certain, this can be said, 200 watts of light is much too bright. Poor chickens wouldn't get much rest. Sleep deprivation would be crueler to me and my mental well-being than bamboo shoots under my fingernails, I think.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

I live in Minnesota.. get's dang cold in the winter.. I did not heat my coop last year and don't plan on it this winter either.. I just have a pretty thick base of shaving on the floor and they do just fine...

They are tuffer than you think.I don't think that they need the heat.As long as you keep the draft off of them and they have a suitable purch to sleep on and that they have their feathers they will be fine.If they don't have feathers then you may need to take the little ones in and put them in a container so that they can move around and then put heat on them.That way you aren't affecting the whole flock and once they get big enough you can put them back with the rest.Good Luck

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with you making the decision to add some supplemental heat to your coop. Only you know your set up and your chickens. Please make sure that you do so safely. There are other options to lamps. 200 watts might be a bit bright, but I really don't know. Can you aim it away from roosting areas?

Congrats on the hatch.

Imp

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with you making the decision to add some supplemental heat to your coop. Only you know your set up and your chickens. Please make sure that you do so safely. There are other options to lamps. 200 watts might be a bit bright, but I really don't know. Can you aim it away from roosting areas?

Congrats on the hatch.

Imp

DIDO. though I agree with Blue as well. (just watch those new little ones!)

Back
Top Bottom