Heat lamp keeping chickens awake 24/7 what should I use instead? Emmiter bulb or flat panel heater?

I figure a comfy chicken is a happy chicken. I know they don't "need" it to be 50 in their coop, but I know I'm happier when I'm comfy, so I figure they will be too. Also, when they are warmer their body wouldn't have to work as hard to heat up, so they would have more energy for eggs. It's been in the 30's this week and we've gathered 34 eggs from our 14 birds. Even the EE's are still laying. We'll see how the winter goes, but I have a red and a white heat lamp in the coop. The white one turns off at night and is one for 14 hours each day. I'm going to grab one of the thermostat cubes I saw in this post to save a buck where we can, but so far they are happy, healthy girls - so I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing. Even if you aren't paying attention, they will let you know if they are not happy. Happy Chickens!

Was supposed to say gathered 34 eggs from our fourteen birds in the last 3 days... not week. oops.

I figure a comfy chicken is a happy chicken. I know they don't "need" it to be 50 in their coop, but I know I'm happier when I'm comfy, so I figure they will be too. Also, when they are warmer their body wouldn't have to work as hard to heat up, so they would have more energy for eggs. It's been in the 30's this week and we've gathered 34 eggs from our 14 birds. Even the EE's are still laying. We'll see how the winter goes, but I have a red and a white heat lamp in the coop. The white one turns off at night and is one for 14 hours each day. I'm going to grab one of the thermostat cubes I saw in this post to save a buck where we can, but so far they are happy, healthy girls - so I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing. Even if you aren't paying attention, they will let you know if they are not happy. Happy Chickens!
Put on your down coat, scarf, gloves, winter boots, and do some work in a 50F room...see how comfy you are then.

Was supposed to say gathered 34 eggs from our fourteen birds in the last 3 days... not week. oops.
It's the light, not the heat.....and I'm betting you have pullets(under a year old) laying?
Where are you located.....heat is not a good idea for many reasons.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom