Heat Lamp on Ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mommto3kiddos, Mar 15, 2011.

1. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Do the rules on heating & weeks mimic that of chicks?? At what age should Pekin Ducklings be totally off the heat lamp??

2. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    I did research and read that it was the same and that is how Im doing my new babies...they are now about 6-7 days old. Im trying to find out how to house them once they are ready to go outside...I have a huge dog run next to my hen house...I need to put a pool and some kind of shelter for them....

saw one woman get a bucket, brown in color ....cut a hole and on the front put camoflage...and shavings and hide it among some brush.....but I want to be prepared for the heavy storm days....

3. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    I turned my Pekins lamp off at about 4 weeks. [​IMG] But it's back on now, because they are sleeping outside! [​IMG]

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    It can depend a lot on where they are housed- and what the temperature is where you live. A general rule is to start at 90 degrees and lower the temp by 5- 8 degrees each week in the brooder for 5 weeks. Sometimes 3 weeks is enough with a light- depending on where they are- how many you have, but they may still need it on at night to give them extra warmth. Unless brooding in the middle of winter you shouldnt have to provide heat after 4-5 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by