Heat Lamp Question

I realize that those who are convinced their birds need supplementary heat will not be convinced otherwise but when we refer to chickens giving off body heat we do not mean that they are heating the room. What we are saying is that the body heat that they are generating is trapped inside their down and feather coat and that is what is keeping them warm.

I also realize that it is difficult for a human to stand out there shivering in the cold and understand that their their chickens are built different and they are not feeling the same thing.

If a caretaker chooses to fuss over their flock and add conditions that nature has not provided for them thats fine but they must also understand that while doing so they are introducing all sorts of undesirable conditions like excessive humidity, weakened resistance to disease, sleep deprivation, un-natural egg laying cycles, etc.

Charlie, there are studies that indicate as much as 8 btu's of heat can be produced per bird -in the dead of winter when properly housed and fed. It is a greenhouse effect.

I have a very large poultry barn and I can tell you there is a very noticable temp difference on the inside even in freezing weather. They do put off a fair amount of heat and do not need supplemental heat. By adding artificial heat it can weaken the birds significantly and make it nearly impossible for them to adapt to climate changes.

Adding cracked corn at the late evening for them to eat before going to roost is what will really ramp up their temps and keep the house and chickens warm.

I know that we all feel better if we think our birds are toasty warm in their coop, me included. I dont do supplemental heat myself, just a heat lamp over the waterer to keep it from freezing solid. Charlie has a good point and I've made it myself before. If you do keep your birds artificially warm in the winter, your electricity goes out, and you are unable to provide them the level of comfort they are accustomed to, they will much worse off than if they'd never had supplemental heat in the first place.
Some here only provide that heat because of the risk of frostbitten combs and toes and I must say that if my temps were usually as cold as they were last night or colder (7 degrees), I might think about at least keeping enough heat to prevent frostbite. I did bring in one naked hen who has been in an extended months-long molt because she would not stop laying till a couple of weeks ago. I didn't want to find her dead under the roost this morning and when I saw her standing, not sitting, on the roost, by herself last night, hunched up against the extreme cold, I grabbed the pet carrier and she spent the night in the livingroom, able to rest instead of shiver all night. That, however, is a special case. If she'd been feathered like she should, she would have stayed out with the rest of the crew.
I would say if you are going to provide heat, do the bare minimum necessary to prevent frostbite and keep a dry environment inside the coop.

I generally don't add heat but this am I did go out and put the heat light in the coop, wind chill last night was -31 and so far the temp is -4 with like a -20 wind chill. The girls were looking miserable plus Bertha has had breathing problems over the past year and a half the cold makes her wheeze. I also gave em a suet chunk that I had bought for the woodpeckers they went nuts over that. Wish this cold spell would break.

Unfortunately, I don't think we can assume all chickens are created equal and have tolerances for any amount of cold. I have seen chickens apparently oblivious to the cold and others in the very same conditions that were really struggling with it. They don't all necessarily have the constitution of truly wild birds out there (some of which - though fewer - do perish in the cold too). Also, when there are only a few chickens they don't get the snuggle effect that comes with a lot of bodies cozied up to one another.
I have met some folks who are insistent on no heat and have seen some of their birds really struggle (and die) in brutal cold. Their insistent stance - "100 years ago there was no heat in the barns" Well, 100 years ago, as with now, there were casualties amongst the birds that were not as cold tolerant. Okay if looking for a Darwin effect but if trying to have them all live if possible, extra TLC may be in order.
Long story short, I wouldn't mind an early spring!
JJ

Last edited:
Quote:
So where does one draw the line between what "nature" provides and what humans provide? Should we not provide shelter? Milled feeds? Oyster shells (not available near my inland sea)? Vaccinations?

Are dogs that are allowed inside the house during the winter less healthy than those who live outside 24/7?

If nature didn't "provide" tempatures below 10 degrees, would chickens suffer? How is that different than not allowing the coop to get below 10 degrees?

In the natural world, would chickens inhabit the extreme climates into which humans have introduced them?

I'm not argueing (really!). I'm just tossing out some questions for discussion.

In a perfect world we could have someone come to our house check out the coop, count the chickens and let us know down to what temp they'd be fine.
roll.png

I know I didn't mind going into single digits, the girls were just fine and dandy in the morning, but when we started into the MINUS degrees I got very unhappy about it.......

Hence the adding of the ceramic bulb, which probably does more to make me feel better than it does warming up the chickens.....
My coop is just too big for the few chickens I have, it comes in handly with snow and nasty weather, there is plenty of space inside for them to play around, but nights are just FRIDGID....

My ceramic heat bulb only comes on at midnight and off at 6:30 so far..... last night at 11 (when I went to bed) the coop temp was down to 13.

So where does one draw the line between what "nature" provides and what humans provide? Should we not provide shelter? Milled feeds? Oyster shells (not available near my inland sea)? Vaccinations?

All these may be required for the health, safety and production of the flock. But un-necessary heat can hurt rather than help. Chicken Charlie makes good points about this.

Are dogs that are allowed inside the house during the winter less healthy than those who live outside 24/7?

A flock of hens cannot come in the house for winter. So they must keep their natural hardiness. Un-necessary heat takes it away. What if the electricity (heat) suddenly goes out on a cold winters night? It's happened here.

If nature didn't "provide" tempatures below 10 degrees, would chickens suffer? How is that different than not allowing the coop to get below 10 degrees?

But it does get below 10 degrees. That's why I think tolerance to cold must be maintained for chickens.

In the natural world, would chickens inhabit the extreme climates into which humans have introduced them?

Who knows? Seems like thats a question of adaptation and evolution. Some birds are fine in cold weather, and some must migrate south, or live there permanently.
Humans have altered the evolution of chickens.

I'm not argueing (really!). I'm just tossing out some questions for discussion.

Those are some pretty good questions on this topic, no matter which side we favor. Thinking and discussing is always good!

spot​

Another factor to consider (or more appropriately not to consider) when we try to do what is best for our birds is wind chill. It is uppermost on the minds of folks who live up north and a popular topic of discussion in the winter.

First, wind chill would not be a factor because we are talking about night time temperatures inside the coop where there is no wind.

Second, wind chill is an index measurement that meteorologists have assigned to what it feels like with wind touching human flesh. (Not chicken feathers) If we are indoors (or in our chicken coop) there is no wind chill. If its 0 degrees outside and the wind is blowing 20 mph its still 0 degrees or higher inside the coop.

So, then.....my next question would be for those who never use lamps for heat.....What is the lowest temp your chickens have camped out in with no supplemental heat and how did they do??? I too, do not like to use heating (tonight I did turn on the light again and this is only the third time this winter I have had it on). Here is Michigan the low will be 1 degree. If there are folks who, even at temps like that don't use lamps and their chicks are fine, I would feel more confident myself to do the same.

Back
Top Bottom