1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heat Lamp Question?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by magic21696, Nov 11, 2010.

1. magic21696

magic21696 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2010
    Hi I'll be raising some coturnix quail soon so will I need a Heat lamp something like this:

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Or

Can I use a 75/100 Watt regular bulb?

Please answers Thanks!

2. Pastor Mike

Pastor Mike Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2010
    Redmond Oregon
    I would go to your local pet or feed store and get a light from them which is similar to the one shown . They cost about $6.99

3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I have successfully raised a few batches of chicks using just a red coloured 60W household bulb which cost me 60p. They don't give off all that much heat but as I had just a few chicks in a smallish cardboard box, it was sufficient to keep the temperature as high as was needed. But if you have a lot of chicks in a big brooder you'd probably be best with a proper heat lamp. Best way to figure it out is to get your brooder allset up with the lamp and thermometer in place and make sure your temperatures are stable BEFORE you get your chicks.

4. BetterHensandGardens

BetterHensandGardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Clinton, OH
    I don't know what the requirements are for Quail, but for chickens you shouldn't use a regular light, you should use a heat lamp. That's the only way to keep the temperature stable and at the correct temp for the babies. I did a write-up on how to raise baby chicks here: http://www.betterhensandgardens.com/2010/09/12/raising-day-old-chicks/ but I don't know if the temperatures are right for Quail.

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Quote:A regular bulb works fine. You only need those big heat lamps for large brooder an lots of chicks. Been raising chickens for years an have never needed a real heat lamp. I have moved away from open bulbs completely now an use a heated pipe roost on the floor for them st snuggle up to or roost on an let the brooder be cold. My brooder stays in the 50s at night lately an my chicks are doing fine. Seem to feather out quicker too.

The pipe is a 3 inch pipe with capes on each end an a row of fused Christmas lights wired to a hot water thermostat stuffed in to the pipe. You can see it working in my brooder cam in my signature.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I've never used a heat lamp bulb, just regular old white lights and I have never had an issue. Hundreds of chicks just fine and brooded outside in batches of 4-24 chicks. All that matters is there is enough heat generated. ALWAYS use a heat lamp fixture though, as regular fixtures aren't intended for 24/7 use.

The only time that a real "heat lamps" was used were back in the day when grandpa would get a shipment of 5 thousand layer chicks for the barn. A few of those lamps are lying around, but we don't use them for small numbers of birds as 100W can keep a dozen chicks toasty in their brooder hut when it's snowing outside.

7. shesaredroan

shesaredroan Chillin' With My Peeps

Depends on what part of the country you're in, what kind of weather you have in your area.
    Also depends on where your brooder is......in the house, in the garage, in the barn. Also want to consider how many bitties you are hatching and brooding.

I live in Texas (northern/central) and use regular 60/75/100 watt bulbs. Knew a lady who nearly burned down her barn with one of the heat lamps.

You want to watch your bitties.......if they are always crowded up under the heat/light, they're cold......you could increase wattage (say from 75 to 100 watt) or you could lower the light to be closer (as long as it's not TOO close to the bedding). Be sure there are no drafts blowing on your brooder.......plywood, cardboard can help with deterring drafts.

If your bitties move about the brooder with ease, then they are happy. They need to have room to move away from the heat if they want, and go to the heat when they feel chilled. They will self regulate if given enough room.

Best of luck, and watch, your bitties will tell you what they need. [​IMG]

8. BetterHensandGardens

BetterHensandGardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Clinton, OH
    A heat lamp like theone shown generates "heat" better than regular light bulbs, so in North East Ohio when brooding a few dozen chicks, I think it works the best. [​IMG]

9. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I'm not sure if they still sell those regular old white lights. All I can find around here is Soft White's and they don't give off much heat. If you can't find regular lights go with the heat lamp just make sure you don't get them (the quail) to hot. Been there done that, it's not a good ending.

10. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    I use a Clamp lamp like this
    http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Cable-6-foot-Reflector-8-5-inch/dp/B00004SQJA

depending on how many chicks I have I vary from 40w to 100w
    You need to make sure the light socket is ceramic not plastic and the reflector helps direct the heat light to one area that covers only 1/2 or less of the brooder box.

Be aware that quails will "pop" or jump while they are getting feathers so you want the light to either be high or have some kind of protection. like hardware cloth cover to stop getting close to the hot bulb while they bounce around like pop rocks.

I don't use heat lamp bulbs but then I live in the northwest where it is rare to get really cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by