Heat Lamp Question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken_Lover4567, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Chicken_Lover4567

Chicken_Lover4567 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Texas
    I'm buying chicks soon, and here in Texas it's 100 degrees everyday almost. Should I put a heat lamp with them anyway or what????

2. Chicken_Lover4567

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Texas
    Oh, and I will be keeping them outside on the porch. [​IMG]

3. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    Quote:you should have a lamp available, particularly at night when the temps might drop a bit. you might never have to use the lamp, but keep a thermometer in the brooder and monitor it carefully, especially for the first week or two.

(edited for clarity)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I agree with raven..get a thermometer and jsut make sure the temps are 95 in there for the little babies for the first week and then you may only have to used it at night to keep them warm. Good luck!

5. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Its been extra warm here. I had a heatlamp 225Watt in my brooder box. I keep a thermometer in the bottom w/the keat. It was too hot so I replaced the bulb with a 90W.

Put a thermometer down beside the chicks and check the temps. It should be around 95F until they are feathered out.

6. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    The temperature where the birds are should be 90° to 95° for the first week. Reduce the temperature 5° per week until you get to 70°. Then they shouldn't need any more heat.

Wk 1 90-95° wk 2 85-90° wk 3 80-85° wk 4 75-80° wk 5 70-75°

If your temperatures at chick level are at 90-95° without the heat lamp, have a small light - 15 watts or similar - to keep them from piling.

Remember that "back in the day" people got their chicks in March so they could have eggs earlier in the year. That is why temperature was so important.

I agree you should just keep a thermometer in the brooder area so you can check the temperature at chick level a couple of times a day.

And make sure they always have plenty of fresh cool water so they don't get dehydrated.

Good luck!

7. Chicken_Lover4567

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Texas
    Thank you guys! Yall have been a big help. I'll remember what you guys said. I'll still be checking on here for opinions though!

8. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Just to relay my experience:

It's hot where I am in Texas, too. I put a 40 watt bulb over my brooder just for the night (mine is also outside, and it's in the mid-70's at night) and the chicks (newly hatched) moved away from it. So I put a heating pad set on low under one side of the brooder, and the chicks moved away from that, too. I don't think they need it.

9. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Just remember that a thermometer is a baby chicks best friend.[​IMG]

10. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

If it is 100 degrees during the day, dont use a heat lamp. I would use one at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by