1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heat lamp question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chicks Galore3, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Is going to be -15° tonight and I was wondering if I should put a heat lamp my chicken coop. I have used heat lamp in the previous years. I have tried to refrain from it this year,however I am wondering if there's a certain point in time when I should. It's been very cold lately, as in single digits or even last night it was -7. My chickens don't seem to mind the cold.I think, as long they are not shivering or showing signs of being way too cold, do you think it would be fine if I do not use the heat lamp? I do not want the fire hazard or for the electricity to go out and have the sudden temperature drop.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    They do not need the heat lamp. They are acclimated to the cold weather by now, and will be fine. I'm in MN, so I know how cold it is. When you bundle up to go outside, you go out, do what you need to do, come in and take of your coat. Your chickens don't get to take of their coats. Heat the coop and they will go from being comfortable to too hot. They're much better off with consistent temperatures than big swings.

3. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

If they are in a draft free well ventilated coop, they'll be very happy without any additional heat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by