Heat Lamp thread

Kesta

Pie Crust Malfunction
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
houston tx
The farmers Almanac says this years winter is supposed to be exceptionally cold. So better buy those heat lamps before the prices sky rocket. Also on this thread how about you share what kind of heat lamp works best for you, so others can find out whats affordable, but still works well.

what, no one uses heat lamps
idunno.gif

Good Lord!!!NO HEAT LAMPS OR OIL HEATERS. They will not only keep them warm, they will burn down your coop or kill the chickens. I only use 60 watt bulbs in the coops. This is enough to keep the chill off, but not enough to over warm them so when they go out they don't get sick. Yes, my chickens are true free ranged, they go and come as they want. The trap door is never closed.

No extra heat at all here, once they have feathers they are on thier own. Mine are like the post office come rain,snow,sleet etc... when the coop is opened they go outside if there is snow on the ground, the head for the bushes and woods where they can still try to find something good to eat. They do seem to come back inside a little more often to warm up. Maybe there is a hot cocoa machine in there that I dont know about which is helping to keep them warm. I also use deep litter method, so there is a couple of inches of bedding between them and the floor to help keep thier toes warm.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom