Heat lamp vs Brooder?

Based on everything we are reading, we will invest in a lamp. We will keep them in a large tub with that and some chips until we are comfortable with their condition. We appreciate everyone's input. You've been very helpful

Yes. I read that. But I was wondering what the difference is between buying them at TSC the day they get them in the mail - and skipping the middle men and getting them from the po myself

Depending on how long the chicks spend at TSC before you get them, they may be nicely warmed and fed by the time you get them.

And the ones that arrived in bad shape may die at the store, but that leaves TSC to take the loss, instead of you complaining directly to the hatchery. You are only likely to see and purchase the chicks that looked fine at the time you bought them (not the ones having problems.)

I think those are the most likely points of difference.

Depending on how long the chicks spend at TSC before you get them, they may be nicely warmed and fed by the time you get them.

And the ones that arrived in bad shape may die at the store, but that leaves TSC to take the loss, instead of you complaining directly to the hatchery. You are only likely to see and purchase the chicks that looked fine at the time you bought them (not the ones having problems.)

I think those are the most likely points of difference.
This is true. We have been there when they were wheeled in from the Post Office and waited the two hours. To be safe, we bought a lamp and bin today like the one TSC uses. It does get warmer than our brooder, so they will live in there for the first week until we transfer them to the playpen. It's still too chilly at night for babies though. Days are 100 nights are 70.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom