Heat lamp vs plate vs pad for button quail

ButtonBag

Songster
Jun 23, 2020
London, UK
We're into the first week of incubating our 7 shipped button quail eggs and are getting onto setting up a plastic tote brooder. The biggest decision at the moment is whether to use a heat lamp (possibly infra-red so they can sleep better) which I'm a bit concerned about over-heating the whole box, a heat plate which I'm not sure button chicks will fit under properly, or a heat pad which I'm not sure will get hot enough! Does anyone have a tried and true method specifically for button chicks?

Thanks, the rice filled sock is a good idea I hadn't thought of before.

Can I ask why you prefer the ceramic bulb to a heating plate that the chicks sit under? I've seen a lot of people raving about ones like the ecoglow.

Thanks, the rice filled sock is a good idea I hadn't thought of before.

Can I ask why you prefer the ceramic bulb to a heating plate that the chicks sit under? I've seen a lot of people raving about ones like the ecoglow.
i have the brinsea heat plate but have never been a big fan with quail chicks......too much opportunity for them to get stuck or lost and i can’t monitor them as easily. heat pad was ok but similar situation where they could manage to get stuck under it.

5273108A-7854-4F84-9883-FCBA92CB5240.jpeg image.jpg
Time for brooder cleaning....it’s on the list!!! 🤣

Very cute! What's the water got in it to make it so dark? Do you need to worry about them boinking after a couple of weeks with the bars at the top? Sorry for the barrage of questions 😅
i added nutridrench to their water.....they typically do fine in there during the brooder stage and they get moved to a taller cage until they are old enough to go outside.

Back
Top Bottom