Heat Lamp

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ReyM, Jan 27, 2010.

1. ReyM

ReyM Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2009
    Should i get a heat lamp for my girls temps. are dropping down to the mid 20's here in GA. by the weekend.
    Thanks

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Are they full grown and put up in a draft-free coop at night? If so, my answer would be no. Chickens allowed to acclimate to changes in weather and temperatures do just fine. If you have any birds with large combs you might want to take the extra precaution of putting vaseline on their combs in the evenings, but with a dry coop even that shouldn't be a problem.

Just MHO. [​IMG]

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

There are lots of factors to consider, some of which have already been mentioned. Safety issues with using a heat lamp is another big concern. I do use a heat lamp in my coop. This seems to be a personal choice issue. You know what your chickens can handle without getting stressed. Make your decision based on that.

4. chickenjim64

chickenjim64 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2007
    Victor,Montana
    I live in Montana i've had as much as 4 heat lamps going at one time i have 15 lady's in my coop, I never let them get to cold there out free ranging in the day everyday no matter the weather but at night I dont let them get too cold and I'm getting 12 to 15 eggs a day, also my heat lamp's are secured to the rafters so no chance of them falling if they should hit them, I would be careful in georgia with the damp air that could be a problem, I think one lamp would be good..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by