Heat Lamp?!

animalluv0512

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 26, 2014
Hello BYC! I'm new here so I am hoping I have posted this question in the correct place.. If I haven't sorry! So my question is I have 2 Silver Wyandotte hens. Here in TN it is suppose to get in the single digits and stay very cold for a while. I have been putting them in my garage in an old dog crate, they have plenty of room. However, I think they would be colder, but yet happier outside. The inside living quarters isn't that large so I want to make sure I have the correct heat source so I don't end up with fried chicken. The inside is about 35 in. W x 27 in. D x 27 in. H seeing that you can know it is not very big. I just want to know how to correctly heat them to where they will be comfortable and I did not know where else to go other than here! I am very sorry for rambling I hope yall can help me!
idunno.gif

I use a panel heater. You should be able to find one at any farm supply store. I also use a cookie tin with a light attachment. The instructions to make one is on the chicken chick's blog. It was super easy and cheap to make. It's actually for keeping their water from freezing, but I use it at night when the Temps get below 20 degrees. Works like a charm and no worries about fire. I use a 60W bulb in mine because it's been below zero at night. Just make sure their coop is draft free and ventilated. Prayers for happy, comfortable chickens!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2 on Fowl Momma. Panel heaters work wonderfully! I wish I had one of these!

I have two lights. One for heat and one 40 watt bulb simply for extra light to keep them laying. I only use the heat in very cold temps. They do fine without in temps that range 20 or up. Your's will as well.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I use a panel heater as well. These are great because they don't get hot enough to burn you, the birds or anything. You can attach them up on the wooden wall right in front of the roost bar too if it is a low wattage one. I use mine when it is going down below zero and it puts out just enough heat to keep them a tad warmer than without.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom