Heat plates

Jaybird14

Songster
9 Years
Dec 30, 2014
I’m thinking of trying a heat plate vs red heat lamp in my brooder this hatch.
Anyone have experience with these and quail?

I tried one that I didn't like. Seemed to burn the chicks, so I sent it back. It requires some research to get the best ones. I ended up buying a Sweeter Heater, which I'm using now, but can't say how it really works for them. By the time I worked it all out, they were about 4 weeks old, and they aren't using it much at all. Meantime, I was using the red light. Next time I'm brooding I'll try the mama heating pad idea. There is nothing to get burned on, and if it is made well, it will feel cozy like being under a mama hen.

I have a heat plate and like it. The first two hatches did great with it. The third batch had a couple of runts that I was concerned about so I left it on a low height for them and singed the back down on some of the bigger ones. They didn’t seem bothered by it and quickly grew out the feathers once I raised it up.

I bought one and they seemed to like it. The one I had you can adjust the height so they can get under it without being burned. They develop a normal light/sleep cycle and are quiet while under it instead of cheep cheeping all the time.

I bought one and they seemed to like it. The one I had you can adjust the height so they can get under it without being burned. They develop a normal light/sleep cycle and are quiet while under it instead of cheep cheeping all the time.
The one that was burning my chick was adjustable too, but the instructions said it had to be low enough for the chick to touch it. So, the chick would go under and touch it for about 10 sec and then jump like it got burned and crouch, then stand up and touch and then jump again. It looked like torture to me. The Sweeter Heater is a pricier brand, but it doesn't burn them. It is essentially the same thing, but you know what they say, you get what you pay for. I will move it into the coop for winter heat. Next time I brood chicks, I definitely want to try the heating pad tunnel. The can get on top of it to keep feet warm if they want. I'll probably put one of those in one of the coops this winter.

MVIMG_20190523_093509.jpg
IMG_20190604_175724.jpg
MVIMG_20190520_204258.jpg
I got a heat plate from Amazon that worked great. I set it at a tilted angle so that the chicks could decide how close they wanted to be to the plate. Touching it would be too hot, I think. As they grew, we raised it incrementally. They felt safe hiding under it when they were spooked, would come out to play and eat, and would go back under for naps. Super adorable. I left the top open so they could hop on top. I just wish the texture was smooth so it would be easier to clean. For some reason they want us to buy a cone to go over the top to prevent them from climbing on it.

I got a heat plate from Amazon that worked great. I set it at a tilted angle so that the chicks could decide how close they wanted to be to the plate. Touching it would be too hot, I think. As they grew, we raised it incrementally. They felt safe hiding under it when they were spooked, would come out to play and eat, and would go back under for naps. Super adorable. I left the top open so they could hop on to. I just wish the texted was smooth so it would be easier to clean. For some reason they want us to buy a cone to go over the top to prevent them from climbing on it.
I ended up getting the cone cover thing after the first batch so I didn’t have to scrape poo off the top. Works well but they did enjoy climbing on top before I ruined their fun. :gig

i got the thing about week ago and plugged it in and it got warm to the touch. the thermometer i put under it never got above 65 deg F. the plate was at a very low elevation.

My quail hatched yesterday... the outside temp right now is 31 F.... they are under a heat lamp.. lol

I don’t know about how it would work in 31 degree weather but it heats by contact so the air temp underneath will never reach the temp of a heat lamp.

Back
Top Bottom