Heat! Should we wait to put chicks in coop?

Mine are outside. Im saying that i havr done everything to prevent them from getting heat stress. Try to put yours out when it is cooler. And here are some tips for keeping them cool.
- provide plentynof fresh clean cool water
-provide plenty of shade
-provide alot of spaces for them to dist bathe
- and on really hot days give them electrolytes only once a week.
- i give mine watermelon, cantaloupe rinds to.
-im trying frozen fruits and veggies this week so hopefully it helps.
We were planning to coop train by keeping them confined to the coop for several days to a week. When it’s 85-90 if we kept them in the secure run all day and only put them in the coop at night when it’s cooler would that work?

We were planning to coop train by keeping them confined to the coop for several days to a week. When it’s 85-90 if we kept them in the secure run all day and only put them in the coop at night when it’s cooler would that work?
Maybe what is the lowest temp for the week in your area. That would be the best time to put them out. Also a fan would help and ice blocks in the run.

Yes, do not lock them in a new coop. Too hot, but rather give them the choice of in or out. At nine weeks they should be strong enough to take a bit of heat with good air flow, water and shade options.

As long as the coop and run are attached, mine have always made the set up imprinted on them. I would never lock my birds in a coop this time of year, except at night, and only if I was sure I would be able to open it in the morning. This time of year, I keep the chicken door open all the time. It is in a secure run.

One thing to do is check your shade in the run through out the day. My current run has very nice shade in the morning to mid afternoon, but by late afternoon, the hottest part of the day, the shade needs help. I rearrange some pallets to give some shade options for that time of day.

If you have kept them in the house for 9 weeks, without outside time, I would add them late in the afternoon, make sure they get in the coop for night, and monitor them closely during the next day. Probably over cautious, but prudent.

Mrs K

Yes, do not lock them in a new coop. Too hot, but rather give them the choice of in or out. At nine weeks they should be strong enough to take a bit of heat with good air flow, water and shade options.

As long as the coop and run are attached, mine have always made the set up imprinted on them. I would never lock my birds in a coop this time of year, except at night, and only if I was sure I would be able to open it in the morning. This time of year, I keep the chicken door open all the time. It is in a secure run.

One thing to do is check your shade in the run through out the day. My current run has very nice shade in the morning to mid afternoon, but by late afternoon, the hottest part of the day, the shade needs help. I rearrange some pallets to give some shade options for that time of day.

If you have kept them in the house for 9 weeks, without outside time, I would add them late in the afternoon, make sure they get in the coop for night, and monitor them closely during the next day. Probably over cautious, but prudent.

Mrs K
Very good advice. Thank you!

We just finished the coop and run and were hoping to put the chicks out in the coop.
However, we are supposed to have temps near 100 on Tuesday & Wednesday. I’m thinking that would be a shock from coming from a 60 degree basement? Should we wait until the temps are 80-90 later in the week? I mean I know it’s summer and they have to deal with heat but is that too hot?
How old are they? Mine are only 4 weeks and I’m wanting to get them in coop but newbie so not sure how to transition with the heat. 90-95 tops here now.

Back
Top Bottom