heat source for inside a coop? need ideas please

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Darklingstorm, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    I need some ideas on what kind of safe heat source I can put in my coop. The coop is not air tight but not drafty either. Tomorrow is going to be our first freeze here and I'm worried about them. I have 9 hens currently living in it. I've got a light in there now but its only a 75 watt bulb and it doesn't heat things up to much.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    It is extremely hard to offer advise without the information. You said some draft. So that I would get the caulking gun out. You say 9 hens but we need an age? Are they feathered? [​IMG]

3. JerseyFresh

JerseyFresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Utah
    They should be just fine without any heat. As long as you have proper ventilation and no drafts you have nothing to worry about.

4. JerseyFresh

JerseyFresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Utah
    As long as there is the proper ventilation and no drafts, your chickens will be just fine without heat. If you've already got a bulb in there I wouldn't worry about it.

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Chickens are all wearing down jackets.

They don't need extra heat if it's above 0

6. rjlanger2

rjlanger2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Central Texas
  7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I don't see that you need a heat source at all, chickens can be very cold hardy but if you provide heat even just to take the chill out of the air, it's doing more harm than good. Chickens will acclimate and they go through physical changes when the weather changes and if you prevent them from doing that naturaly they will not acclimate or be as hardy.

8. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Your coop looks fine and your hens should be fine in it in the cold weather. I have 8 hens that live in a tractor and I leave the doors open all winter long unless its blowing snow. They get nice heavy feathering and so have no problem with the cold. Ventilation is key because any buildup of ammonia or humidity is what really can hurt your birds.

9. Steadfast

Steadfast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    NC. USA
    My Coop
    Hens generate heat....

10. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    I think your coop looks just fine as it is. I would concentrate on getting a nice chair, and a good hot cocoa recipe for when you sit and watch them. All those 'cracks and crevices provide ventilation. If you are worried about predator intrusion cover them with hardware cloth, but I would not seal them up. The only place I used caulking is on the floor so if need be I could wash the floor and not have it get the ground underneath wet. You really can not have to much ventilation, I personally do not worry about the whole 'draft' thing either, kinda silly in my opinion. But to each their own, not right or wrong, just different.

I personally don't believe you need heat, When we had horses that were in trouble during the winter, we used I.R. (red) heat bulbs that had hardware wire 'tubes' around them to keep them from being knocked around and broken. Never had a knocked out bulb. You can see what I mean about the 'tubes' on my page. Easy to change the bulb and if the birds hit them the bulb will not break. In my opinion, those new ecobulb things should never be allowed in your coop. They have mercury in them, which if broken and released into your coop, goes straight into the eggs. Break one of those in the coop and you have contamination at a level that the EPA considers to be hazardous enough to require special 'protected' cleaning procedures. I hate those darn things...

FWIW- it is 12 degrees at our house, no heat in the coop and snow outside. When they get let out, they run out, eat snow and play. Soon it will be well below 0, and we still wont add heat. This is just how we raise our birds, not right or wrong. I just think it is important to point out that they do not need supplemental heat even in temps as low as -30, and I believe they are better off if you don't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by