heat source other than light bulb?

Halogen bulbs will be avaible, there putting out a 72W ,that puts out as much light and heat as the old 100 w incadecent (same basic shape).Halogen traditionaly last longer and burn hotter...cva34

Quote:
SWEET tip on the thermostat. That is the one thing that I hadn't figured out past the water heater thermo unit. I just googled Ranco ETC-111000 and came up with a bunch of ebay links for them. More than I would want to spend (cuz I'm cheap) but if they're worth the money, I could build my own styro-box/diffused computer fan/food dehydrator incubator with that thermostat and kick the pants off the $70 pre-packaged one that I bought. It's nice to hear that the food dehydrator coil is a good heat source. I look forward to trying it myself.

I used a water heater thermostat in my first incubator. Worked pretty good, not consistent though. Would still like to find a less expensive solution than the Ranco ETC-111000 .

Last edited:
My hot water heater thermostat went out this morning, so i chunked my little personal heater, that we keep in our bathroom, into my incubator. It has a thermostat, fan and ceramic heat source. I think they run about $15 bucks @ walmart. It did the trick until i replaced my original thermostat. Now i'm considering gutting one and using the parts in my incubator....

Quote:
SWEET tip on the thermostat. That is the one thing that I hadn't figured out past the water heater thermo unit. I just googled Ranco ETC-111000 and came up with a bunch of ebay links for them. More than I would want to spend (cuz I'm cheap) but if they're worth the money, I could build my own styro-box/diffused computer fan/food dehydrator incubator with that thermostat and kick the pants off the $70 pre-packaged one that I bought. It's nice to hear that the food dehydrator coil is a good heat source. I look forward to trying it myself.

I used a water heater thermostat in my first incubator. Worked pretty good, not consistent though. Would still like to find a less expensive solution than the Ranco ETC-111000 .

Trust me on the Ranco, it's an investment, I have used mine on a window AC unit (turned down the factory one to keep it running non-stop) to keep a room at 50 degrees while hibernating snakes, I used one to turn a chest freezer into a fridge when mine went out, I used three together, one to cool a room with a swamp cooler and the second as a backup to turn the swamp off if the temps got too hot (e.g. the swamp pump went out and it was blowing hot air) in which case the third turned on an ac unit.

I am as thrifty as they come but look at it like this:

1) It will cost you $47 new including shipping.
2) Used they get $35 plus.
3) Mine has lasted me for 10 plus years now.
4) They will keep your temps spot on.
5) Say you hatch 100 eggs a year and the Ranco increases your hatch rate by 10%.
6) That's 8 chicks based on an 80% hatch rate.
7) Chicks are worth $2 each (over the $0.50 you get for a hatching egg).
8) 8 x 10 x $1.50 - $47 + $35 = $108

I see that as pretty much a no brainer honestly! Factor in resale, how easy it will make your life, the fact that it will make you money and so on and I can tell you that Ranco is one of the very best investment I have made in my entire life! Purchase one of them and you will fully understand where I'm coming from on this. There are cheaper items you can use but the cost of ownership for the Ranco is lower than anything else and the thing is BULLETPROOF!

Quote:

Trust me on the Ranco, it's an investment, I have used mine on a window AC unit (turned down the factory one to keep it running non-stop) to keep a room at 50 degrees while hibernating snakes, I used one to turn a chest freezer into a fridge when mine went out, I used three together, one to cool a room with a swamp cooler and the second as a backup to turn the swamp off if the temps got too hot (e.g. the swamp pump went out and it was blowing hot air) in which case the third turned on an ac unit.

I am as thrifty as they come but look at it like this:

1) It will cost you $47 new including shipping.
2) Used they get $35 plus.
3) Mine has lasted me for 10 plus years now.
4) They will keep your temps spot on.
5) Say you hatch 100 eggs a year and the Ranco increases your hatch rate by 10%.
6) That's 8 chicks based on an 80% hatch rate.
7) Chicks are worth $2 each (over the $0.50 you get for a hatching egg).
8) 8 x 10 x $1.50 - $47 + $35 = $108

I see that as pretty much a no brainer honestly! Factor in resale, how easy it will make your life, the fact that it will make you money and so on and I can tell you that Ranco is one of the very best investment I have made in my entire life! Purchase one of them and you will fully understand where I'm coming from on this. There are cheaper items you can use but the cost of ownership for the Ranco is lower than anything else and the thing is BULLETPROOF!

And it has temp pobe on 8' wire, the unit does not have to be mounted inside Incubator ,only small hole for temp prob to go through and small hole for couple wires that go to heat element.There really great unit....cva34

Back
Top Bottom