Heat Stress: At what point should you intervene?

With temps heating up fast here in SWVA, I'm wondering if anyone has any pointers in telling when chickens have passed the line between "normal" response to heat and heat stress to the degree that they need emergency intervention.

We've only gotten into the low to mid 80s, humid, and so far only one of my gals seems to be suffering (2 y/o GLW)--she's always the first to get hit by the heat. I have cool troughs of water with large ice blocks I replace throughout the day, covered run + shade tarps over the roof, rechargeable but still powerful fans (one pulling air into the small coop and another blowing through the run), and I'll periodically bring out frozen watermelon and lace their water with rooster booster. I have a dunk bucket that I keep in the run later in the summer, but the GLW currently is wearing vetwrap boots because she's mending from bumblefoot. With no electricity out there, there's not much else I can do.

I'm worried about my GLW who is already showing signs of heat stress, when temps will only get hotter. Right now she's panting and holding her wings away from her body, but still walking around, talking and eating (though slightly paler than usual). I'm ready to swoop in and take her to the hospital pen in the cool basement when need be but don't want to jump the gun.

So, how do you all tell when your hens have moved from mere discomfort to illness from the heat?

Thank you, friends!

With temps heating up fast here in SWVA, I'm wondering if anyone has any pointers in telling when chickens have passed the line between "normal" response to heat and heat stress to the degree that they need emergency intervention.

We've only gotten into the low to mid 80s, humid, and so far only one of my gals seems to be suffering (2 y/o GLW)--she's always the first to get hit by the heat. I have cool troughs of water with large ice blocks I replace throughout the day, covered run + shade tarps over the roof, rechargeable but still powerful fans (one pulling air into the small coop and another blowing through the run), and I'll periodically bring out frozen watermelon and lace their water with rooster booster. I have a dunk bucket that I keep in the run later in the summer, but the GLW currently is wearing vetwrap boots because she's mending from bumblefoot. With no electricity out there, there's not much else I can do.

I'm worried about my GLW who is already showing signs of heat stress, when temps will only get hotter. Right now she's panting and holding her wings away from her body, but still walking around, talking and eating (though slightly paler than usual). I'm ready to swoop in and take her to the hospital pen in the cool basement when need be but don't want to jump the gun.

So, how do you all tell when your hens have moved from mere discomfort to illness from the heat?

Thank you, friends!
Use a powerful box fan and blow air over the ice and water- instant AC. Install water misters, they connect directly to a garden hose or spigot and will lower air temperature dramatically. Don't wait until your chickens look stressed, it may be too late by then.

Back
Top Bottom